• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Tiffany My first Antique electric "Tiffany"

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
Picked this up at local auction. Never seen one before and after researching here I believe it's an early model. The battery compartment is missing but it has added a two D cell pack and it will run for a few minutes though the pendulum seems to be scraping the bottom. Can anybody give me an approximate date? 20210629_181314.jpg 20210629_181311.jpg 20210629_181254.jpg

Reactions: Steve Murphy

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
You do have an earlier double contact version. I do not know the date, but the patent is given as 1904, so this being an early model it must be closer to that date. It should take 3 batteries for 4.5 v and the pendulum does look at bit low, it should not touch the base. I have the other single contact models which came later and they are fascinating to watch, but sometimes a pain to get to run correctly. I do envy your find; good luck with it. Looks like you have a Barr/Poole next to it, so I expect you will have it running soon.

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
Thanks. Yes I actually got 3 Barrs along with this one. Two of them run good and currently keeping time. I'm going to make a battery holder for it and try 4.5v. Interesting watching and listening to it run. Is there a trick to setting the hands. I noticed on one rotation they won't move and the other they turn just stiffly.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Congratulations on your find! One of the first Regionals we attended had an excellent exhibit of Tiffany Never-wind clocks. Being new to clocks, I had no idea at the time how unusual it was to see so many examples in one place. To top it off, I missed the presentation that accompanied the exhibit. If only time travel back to that event were possible...

Have you seen these Tiffany Never-wind article from the October 1982 and February 2006 Bulletins? There may be more current information available, but perhaps these might be interesting reading.

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
Thank you. Been trying to research at the main site but have an issue with my log in. When resolved I look forward to reading it. Thanks again!

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
When it rotates one way the pin is released and the other way gives impulse when the contact is made. Watch it from the back and you will see what I am attempting to say. Well, I just realized this is probably not how yours works, since you have the double contact and mine are single contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-