My Elgin B W RAYMOND visits home

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by CentreKeystone, Jul 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CentreKeystone

CentreKeystone Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Last week I spent time west and north of Chicago near Elgin. I thought it would be interesting to bring my Elgin B W Raymond to the site of the factory in Elgin. The factory is, of course, long gone but there are still some interesting traces of it on the site. The two original entrance gate posts and portions of the adjoining fences flank the entrance to the current Clock Tower Plaza. Bridge abutments of the adjacent bridge have a relief of the clock tower. The original railroad station has been restored on its original site. The prize is the observatory on a hill overlooking the factory. It is now owned by the school and open by appointment only during summer recess.

Elgin Watch Factory Depot.jpg Clock Tower Plaza.jpg Elgin Watch Factory and B W Raymond watch.jpg Elgin Watch Factory entry post and fence.jpg Elgin Watch Factory observatory.jpg Fox River Bridge abutment.jpg

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Keith R... and shovelhead like this.
  3. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    I love taking some of my watches home too. I have taken watches to Elgin but it is always a sad experience...so much history destroyed for a no-account strip mall.

179 likes this.
  4. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Once they are gone, I like what has been done with Hamilton, Waltham, and Illinois. Rockford, although on the Historic Register, unless they can find someone to repurpose it, is in limbo.

5. ACANNON99

ACANNON99 Registered User

Mar 27, 2015
    HANOVER PARK - NEXT DOOR TO ELGIN
    Country Flag:
    Next time you are in Elgin - go to the Elgin History Museum. Here's the website: Elgin History Museum | Inspiring historical discovery through preserving Elgin's heritage. They have a floor dedicated to the Elgin National Watch Company. Not too far from the original watch company site. I worked in Elgin for 25 years - and live one town over. If I can help you with any questions, let me know.

6. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    This is from December 2018. Does anyone know if the city has had any action on this? Downtown Rockford is a pretty cool place with a lot going on. There is a good brewery in another old building on the river. It would be great to have the Rocky Factory repurposed.

Keith R... likes this.