My Collection has Grown!

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by KurtinSA, Aug 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had the extreme good fortune to buy the collection of a gentleman who passed away in Caribou, ME, several months ago. Through an acquaintance who is a member of Chapter 168, I traveled to the home in Maine to help with the packaging of the 400-day clocks as well as other clocks he had. I purchased all the 400-day clocks he had on display...unfortunately, there were probably another 30-40 clocks that were "projects" on the back porch and most of those were in bad shape. I hated to leave them, but due to time constraints and space in the van I had to turn away, but the estate will get something for them. This was a once in a lifetime situation and I just went for it! I now have a "happy" problem...so many clocks and no space...yet!

I was very glad to see many disk pendulum clocks, and quite a few Beckers...I think there is a 4-ball Becker there. A range of other manufacturers and 30-40 miniatures, some of which I'm told are rare and/or unique. A couple of 1000-day clocks, some chromed clocks, and 3 Kaisers. As I said, I'm very fortunate to have to opportunity to get this collection and help the estate at the same time. Clocks just won't sell for much in Maine, so I'm sure my "contribution" will help!!

I will post pictures of clocks when I find something that I don't know what it is...it will be many of them I'm sure. If there isn't a logo or name, I'm not that good at figuring out what they clock is. I'll begin to document for myself what I have and post other pictures as time goes by.

Here is one that is quite unusual. The clock is a standard Schatz Model 49. But the movement was sent to a John Bernbrock and he made the marble enclosure. It is heavy! The top is not sitting properly...it wouldn't fit given where I was taking the picture. I do have a spot for this and will get it up and running shortly.

FrontBernbrock.jpg MovementBernbrock.jpg

Kurt

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt, congratulations and we will look forward to seeing a number of your "new" acquisitions! In particular would ask that you post any clock made before WWII to help expand our database for posterity. Doesn't matter who are the makers, we'll be interested in all.

Your Bernbrock clock has an interesting back story. John Bernbrock is a Jesuit priest who served for many years in the Scottsdale, AZ area, and is now at a Jesuit retirement community in Wisconsin, at 89 years of age. John was interested in arts and crafts as a hobby for his "after hours" time, making and selling articles with the proceeds being donated to the church. He specialized in articles of marble, onyx, granite, brass and glass, initially things like vases, candlesticks, jewelry boxes and the like. They were all very professionally made using heavy brass channel and angle for the frame, beveled glass, and of course the various stones as the main part of each. At one point he was approached by someone with an Atmos clock that had the original case damaged beyond repair who asked him if he could make a suitable case of the kind of materials used for his other handiwork. John did this, making an elegant marble and glass case with a lift-off top. He then looked around and found 400-Day clocks without their domes at yard sales and the like, and began to construct suitable cases. This business expanded rapidly and he soon found out about the NAWCC, joining in 1984 and then attending chapter meetings, regionals, and national conventions for sale of his clocks.

In 1995, the NAWCC International 400-Day Chapter 168 was formed, and John became Charter Member #16. He advertised his clocks in the chapter newsletter "The Torsion Times", and we became well acquainted over the years. He retired from active service as a priest in 1999 at age 72 and focused on his clock case business until 2004 when he became quite ill, relinquishing his NAWCC and Chapter 168 memberships that year. He did recover but did not resume making cases and is now at the retirement home in Wisconsin.

I have one of his clocks, that has a Kundo movement with Octagon dial, as seen here;

Bernbrock KO Front.JPG Bernbrock KO Light.JPG Bernbrock KO Upper Lt.JPG

The case is a dark green-black marble with brass framing, with a cast brass finial at the center top. The front and rear glass panels slide out to the side for winding and setting access to the clock. An interesting feature is that it has a night light that illuminates the dial from an aperture in the base, as seen in the center photo. As Kurt says, these are HEAVY clocks, mine weighs nearly 20 pounds being 12 inches square by 23 inches high.

3. pollythecat

pollythecat Registered User

Jul 17, 2016
    East Sussex
    Country Flag:
    Kurt, this sounds like a dream come true! I second John's request for photo's and information when you can do them.

I can appreciate why you like the Bernbrock, its an impressive piece and knowing the back story provided by John makes it even more significant.

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 KurtinSA, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    4-Glass Gustav Becker

Not sure if I should continue updating this thread or start new ones for each clock. Maybe the Beckers that I run across should be posted in the specific thread for those clocks??

Here's the next clock I've unpacked. It's a 4-glass Gustav Becker...not sure if these are regulators or called by some other name. Looks like plate 1199. The serial number is 1915202 suggesting that it was assembled in May 1906. There is a number 38 stamped on some of the vertical rails...I presume to keep these parts together for assembly. I don't see any number on the underside of the pendulum.

It needs a slight beat adjustment. There's a small set screw on the side of the upper saddle. It would appear that loosening this will let me turn the top block for adjustment.

Kurt
    4GlassBeckerFrt.jpg 4GlassBeckerBck.jpg 4GlassBeckerPend.jpg

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Louvre Clock

One louvre clock in the collection. I didn't know they were so tall! This is 17 inches with the dome in place. I can't figure out the manufacturer or the movement plate number...no markings other than the serial number of 31967.

Kurt

LouvreFrt.jpg LouvreBck.jpg LouvrePend.jpg

6. GT.NZ

GT.NZ Registered User

Jul 18, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Levin, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Re: Louvre Clock

That pendulum looks like the one on my 1912 Hauck. Not sure where my copy of the guide is at the moment so I can't check for you. Remember, Haucks are listed as Philip Haas.

Glyn

7. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Schlenker and Posner. I believe it should have a 4 ball pendulum.

Eric

8. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Eric -

I wish I had an e-copy of the repair guide...would make searching much easier! I don't find many (if any at all) entries for SuP. Plate 1529 looks to be similar, although no logo. Mentions 4-ball pendulum. I had made a note from John that SuP made this movement.

Kurt

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Selsi - Badische Uhrenfabrik

Continuing with the pre WWII clocks, here's a Selsi, movement by Badische Uhrenfabrik. Plate is 1515...the cutout at the top of the rear plate is u-shaped. SN is 47182. The dial has some wrinkles in it. It has lantern pinions and a pin pallet escapement...those are new for me!

Kurt
    SelsiFrt.jpg SelsiBck.jpg SelsiMovement.jpg

10. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Selsi - Badische Uhrenfabrik

Kurt,

This is a Huber movement clock that could have had a disc pendulum #38 like you posted in you orphan parts thread. The ball pendulum you have with it is from a JUF clock. The correct ball pendulum would have been a Kienzle #33.

Eric

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 KurtinSA, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Gustav Becker

Eric -

Thanks...hard to sort all this stuff out!!

Here's a Gustav Becker. Best I can tell it's plate 1207...the serial number is 705 but I can't place it in terms of build date. The dial logo suggests late 1800s?? The decorative brass piece under the dial is style C. The escapement is definitely different...seems like this has been discussed before? It has two forks. I'm assuming that the top fork and associated dial on top is used to adjust the beat...the bottom fork mates with the anchor pin normally. Nothing on the underside of the pendulum...someone scratched "911" lightly.

Kurt
    05GBFrt.jpg 05GBBck.jpg 05GBEscape.jpg 05GBBottomPend.jpg

12. MUN CHOR-WENG

MUN CHOR-WENG Registered User

Sep 5, 2000
    Country Flag:

I believe the disc pendulum is original to the clock as I have seen picture of a Schlenker and Posner louvre model fitted with such a pendulum. The same louvre model with a 4 ball pendulum was also offered for sale at the same time.

Mun C W

13. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another Gustav Becker

Another GB disk pendulum clock. Plate 1207A. SN is 2373088...also is scratched into the base of the pendulum. Build date is February 1920. Style B on the brass piece under the dial. The dial also says "K.C. Co. Germany". Same escapement system as the previous GB.

Kurt
    06GBFrt.jpg 06GBBck.jpg 06GBPlate.jpg 06GBPend.jpg

14. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gustav Becker

This one appears to be built in the same month as the 4-glass Becker from above...May 1906. SN 1915008 however nothing on the pendulum. Plate 1199. The brass piece on the dial is style A.

Kurt
    07GBFrt.jpg 07GBBck.jpg 07GBPlate.jpg 07GBPend.jpg

15. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JUF

Change of pace! This appears to be a JUF, plate 1439. SN is 116655. Not sure why the blemish around the eccentric nut. The slot is pretty beat up...maybe someone tried to clean up around the nut when maybe the screwdriver slipped or something.

So, on the top block and adjustment...there's a set screw on the side and a smaller one on the top. One's to allow removal of the top block; the other to allow for beat adjustment. Is that right?

Kurt
    08JUFFrt.jpg 08JUFBck.jpg 08JUFPlate.jpg 08JUFPend.jpg

16. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kienzle I believe

Looks to be a Kienzle...plate 1435. Interesting...same top block arrangement as the previous JUF. SN on plate and pendulum is 134905. It has a wooden base...has some red felt in the groove...likely a replacement??

Kurt
    09KienzleFrt.jpg 09KienzleBck.jpg 09KienzlePlate.jpg 09KienzlePend.jpg

17. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another Kienzle

SN 119639 both plate and pendulum. Plate 1602. This one has the rings for the suspension guard...the previous one did not. If I see this right, the only difference is the lack of "Made in Germany".

I've been weighing pendulums...this clock's weighs 14.3 oz while the previous Kienzle only weighed 11.5 oz. But the same size spring is called out in the guide.

Kurt
    10KienzleFrt.jpg 10KienzleBck.jpg 10KienzlePlate.jpg 10KienzlePend.jpg

18. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Back to JUF

This looks like a JUF. Plate 1617. SN 162220 on the back plate. Again, another difference in the pendulum weight...this one is 14.2 oz while the one a few posts back is 12.9 oz.

Kurt
    11JUFFrt.jpg 11JUFBck.jpg 11JUFPlate.jpg 11JUFPend.jpg

19. jahresuhr

jahresuhr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 6, 2008

A disc pendulum is unusual on a Schlenker & Posner clock. Could you post additional photos of the pendulum? Photos from different angles and the underside with the bottom cover removed would be appreciated. Dimensions of the disc and gallery would be useful for comparison purposes.

20. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I'll see what I can do.

Kurt

21. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Back to JUF

Kurt,

This is another marriage of an older pendulum with a later clock. Pendulum 21 was used on pre-WWI JUFs up to and including the "DRP" stamped clocks without serial numbers. Once they started numbering they changed to the small six column gallery on a different disc. Most JUF clocks had ball pendulums when this clock was made.

Eric

22. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Back to JUF

Eric -

Noted! I'll get through all this and figure out what to do at the end. Thanks for your eagle eye!

Kurt

23. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I agree the disc pendulum is unusual but it may well be original. The SuP 1933 catalog shows Louvre models supplied with disc pendulums. I'm also quite interested to see the "innards" of the disc, it appears to me the bottom cover may not be original but we can at least see if there are different features compared to the earlier Kienzle and JUF discs that were still being made in the 1920's.

24. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This is my first time inside a disk pendulum! Anyway, here's a picture. Shows the contents of the pendulum. There's the visible brass plate, followed by a slotted disk, and then 7 steel disks. The steel disks are 85 mm in diameter and 0.7 mm thick. The overall weight of this pendulum is 13.2 oz. The clock has been keeping good time, required a few adjustments as I near the proper adjustment.

Kurt
    03Pendulum.jpg

25. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #25 KurtinSA, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Würth

This one seems to be a Würth clock, plate 1427 in the guide. John Hubby had indicated last year that the guide was wrong by showing it was a Kienzle clock. He also stated that Würth never made a 4-ball design clock. The plate has SN 19555 while the pendulum is stamped with 103998...I wonder if this is the right style of pendulum. Also scratched on the underside of the pendulum is what appears to be a date 4/14/13. Don't know if that's 2013 or 1913. The is the first clock I've run across with the gimbal design for the top saddle/block.

Kurt
    12WurthFrt.jpg 12WurthBck.jpg 12WurthPlate.jpg 12WurthPend.jpg

12WurthFrt.jpg 12WurthBck.jpg 12WurthPlate.jpg 12WurthPend.jpg

26. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gustav Becker

Another GB. SN is 1696769 on the front plate below the dial as well as the back plate and written on the underside of the pendulum. It looks like it was built Feb 1903. The plate is 1191.

Kurt
    13GBFrt.jpg 13GBBck.jpg 13GBPlate.jpg 13GBPend.jpg

27. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #27 etmb61, Aug 22, 2016
    Re: Würth

Kurt,

I really like Wurth clocks. The pendulum you have for this one is by Kienzle, but it's not a bad matchup. Wurth and Kienzle clocks were very similar looking at a glance, and you have to note the details to tell them apart. For a Wurth in your number range the adjusting weights would have been cylinders rather than flat discs. The rest is about the same from the top. The bottom for the Wurth would most often have a nut securing the bottom plate.

So how many clocks in the collection were on display? I'm starting to get a little jealous here.

Eric

28. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #28 KurtinSA, Aug 22, 2016
    Re: Würth

Eric -

I wasn't prepared for the number of clocks he had. My plan was to just buy a few, but my traveling partner said I should just get them all...this sort of thing just doesn't happen. So, I opened up my checkbook! There were over 100 clocks. About 30 were disk pendulums with some other pre WWII clocks. Maybe 25 post WWII clocks, including a Schatz Rosenthal. Something like 25 miniatures. A few 100-day clocks. I also got a dozen "project" clocks...they seem to all be there, but will need complete teardown. There was a Wanamaker clock in there. I also managed to get a milk crate full of parts...that seemed fairly significant to me.

I guess I have a happy problem. I'm thankful for people's comments on the originality of pieces...all that is still a bit over my head. I'm hoping that some of the information can be useful to those who are trying to fill in the gaps for these clocks.

Kurt

29. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gustav Becker

This is another Gustav Becker. Plate is 1195A. The only SN is on the back plate...1862493...built July 1905. The brass piece below the dial is style A.

Kurt
    14GBFrt.jpg 14GBBck.jpg 14GBPlate.jpg 14GBPend.jpg

30. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JUF

Here's a JUF. Interesting finials. Noticed that the arch is loose and don't see how to get it tight. Also noticed that the little weights on the pendulum are "floating" above the pendulum base...seems kind of strange. Maybe some work has been done on this.

Anyway, the plate appears to be 1009. The SN is 10414 on the back plate and written inside the pendulum. Pendulum is pretty heavy at 15.4 oz...the only other JUF I have has a 12.9 oz pendulum...and they both use the same size spring per the guide (0.004").

Kurt
    15JUFFrt.jpg 15JUFBck.jpg 15JUFPlate.jpg 15JUFPend.jpg

31. Ingulphus

Ingulphus Registered User

May 29, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: JUF

It is not a JUF - it's a Wurth, made for the Bowler & Burdick company, who trademarked the name "Anniversary". Plate 1009 was erroneously attributed to JUF because at the time of the publication of the 10th edition of the Guide, Wurth had not yet been identified as a maker of 400 day clocks.

It appears that the "arch" is loose because the original mounting screws have been replaced - perhaps because they broke off flush, and someone tried to drill them out (it's far better to remove them by soaking the plate in a super-saturated solution of alum and water, which will slowly dissolve the steel and leave the brass untouched - just make sure you've removed all other steel components from the plate before attempting this). The original screws had a 'cheesehead" top that was just the right diameter to fit into the holes, and just long enough to securely attach the arch to the edge of the top plate. The pendulum was used by Bowler & Burdick - a .0004 suspension spring may work, although I've had to thin them down on several of my Wurth clocks. Is that a washer on the central shaft of the pendulum (where it goes into the disc)? If so, that's probably why the weights are floating instead of touching the disc - none of my Wurth pendulums have that washer (although Becker pendulums do).

32. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks on the correction...I did follow the reference to the first article in the Appendix and it mentioned Bowler and Burdick, so I kind of wondered.

Are these screws for the arch the two screw heads seen at the top of the front plate? I thought they just went to the standoffs between the plates. I don't see any other screws that might otherwise be associated with the arch.

Kurt

33. Ingulphus

Ingulphus Registered User

May 29, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

The arrows point to the screws that attach the arch to the top edge of the front plate (which has threaded holes to receive the screws). The thread used requires a 10 BA or 12 BA steel cheesehead screw (I have both, but can't remember which size I last used for this application), if the threads haven't been stripped by attempts to drill the old screws out (I suspect they did; looking at the right-hand screw position, someone has cut or drilled the brass to get at the screw). You can obtain both sizes in small quantities on eBay, from U.K. sellers. Just make sure you are buying steel screws, not brass, and the length should be a half-inch (they can be easily shortened by using cutting pliers).

Wurth screws.jpg

34. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #34 KurtinSA, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

Yes, I did see at least the right side of the arch but thought it was a gouge or something!! I guess I'd better get my cheater glasses on!!

--update-- They're now tight!

Thanks...Kurt

35. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Badische

I think this is plate 1717...same picture in the guide made by Badische Uhrenfabrik with the u-shaped cutout at the top of the back plate. The guide doesn't show any serial number stamped like this clock. SN is 10624 but all the numbers of the stamp aren't the same size. The plates look pretty thin. Haven't seen the groove around the main spring barrel before. The clock has lantern pinions and a pin pallet escapement. Nothing written under the pendulum except penciled in "F A" and "2005". I notice that the small adjustor weights on top of the pendulum don't have F/A stamped on them...except someone penciled it in.

The guide mentions that the early clocks had a special bottom block to be used for time regulation...this clock has a standard bottom block.

Kurt
    16BadischeFrt.jpg 16BadischeBck.jpg 16BadischePlate.jpg 16BadischePend.jpg 16BadischeMovement.jpg

36. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hauck

Best as I can tell, this is a Hauck, plate 1610. John Hubby indicated back in 2015 this was not a JUF but a Hauck. Before I looked it up, it struck me as being a Becker, maybe because of the finials and the nuts on the underside of the base. But it sure looks like pollythecat's clock (a JUF) over here:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?135725-Bought-another-project-what-is-it&p=1052932&viewfull=1#post1052932

The SN is 4734. Nothing is written on the pendulum, although there was one area that was rubbed a bit. Note the click doesn't have that blue of a hue...just the light reflecting.

Kurt
    17HauckFrt.jpg 17HauckBck.jpg 17HauckPlate.jpg 17HauckPend.jpg

37. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Hauck

Look at the line of three wheels on the lower right your Hauck and compare it with the JUF you linked to. The Haucks are easy to id quickly using that parameter.

38. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Duplicate post. Please delete.

39. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Martin -

I see what you're talking about. My next clock is a JUF and is probably related to pollythecat's JUF.

Kurt

40. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JUF

OK, this looks to be a JUF...plate 1471. Interesting information on the wooden insert in the base. As seen in the picture, it would appear that the clock shop in Cumberland, MD, selling it actually dated it as Oct 12 1903.

Kurt
    18JUFFrt.jpg 18JUFBck.jpg 18JUFPlate.jpg 18JUFPend.jpg 18JUFWoodBase.jpg

41. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This is an Andreas Huber clock, as are all with plate 1471. A few years ago I posted one with a US jeweler's label, but I think this one might be the first discovered with a US label that is also dated and signed by the seller. Huber owned the patent rights and therefore controlled the US 400 day clock markets in 1903.

I would call this one is a significant find.

Eric

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?88504-Another-Huber&p=661431&viewfull=1#post661431

42. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JUF

Eric -

Thanks for the info. I think it's pretty cool to see something like the sticker and writing that reaches so far back.

This next clock appears to be another JUF, plate 1439. SN is 131322. The pendulum weighs 10.5 oz but another JUF I showed earlier (w/ SN 116655) has a pendulum that weighs 12.9 oz. I suspect that the pendulum for this clock is a replacement.

Kurt
    19JUFFrt.jpg 19JUFBck.jpg 19JUFPlate.jpg 19JUFPend.jpg

43. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Probably a Kienzle

I think this is a Kienzle based upon the two small holes at the top and bottom of the rear plate...these should be for attaching the rings for the spring guard. But I can't seem to figure out what plate number it should be. SN is 121091. Noticed that the small adjustment weights on the top of the pendulum don't list F/A or R/A.

BTW...I did correct the situation with the left pillar/pediment...just didn't get things lined up as I was assembling it.

Kurt
    20KienzleFrt.jpg 20KienzleBck.jpg 20KienzlePlate.jpg 20KienzlePend.jpg

44. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure on this one

I could use some help here...can't find a plate in the guide that matches. Based upon what Martin said, I was thinking Hauck but still I didn't find a plate.

Kurt
    21UNKFrt.jpg 21UNKBck.jpg 21UNKPlate.jpg 21UNKPend.jpg

45. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Not sure on this one

Plate 1007 would be the closest. This one probably just predates any examples Mr. Terwilliger likely had in his collection or had access to.

46. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Not sure on this one

Martin -

I did see that but since the holes for the click and spring didn't line up, I kept looking. #1007A is better for the click spring and doesn't have the holes for a spring guard, but the three arbors are different.

Kurt

47. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Urania

The dial says Urania but from some of the other postings, I think Huber was involved and other associations with Hauch and JUF...confusing to me. The plate is 1043. SN number is 12521 on both the plate and pendulum. One of the heavier pendulums at 15.7 oz.

This might not be the right base...I think my number scheme broke down. Anyway, the felt on the top suggested that the collars at the bottom of the pediments were circular when I took it apart but clearly these are square. I'll have to see if down the line I can reconcile that.

Kurt
    22UraniaFrt.jpg 22UraniaBck.jpg 22UraniaPlate.jpg 22UraniaPend.jpg

48. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Phillip Haas

According to the guide, this seems to be plate 1607 with Phillip Haas listed. SN is 40557. A couple of things I noticed. First, the top block arrangement is different than I've seen so far...the square block sitting on the round piece. Second, in the upper left of the plate, there's an additional screw with a bent piece of brass. It doesn't do anything inside the movement. Not sure what this might be or have been.

Kurt
    23HaasFrt.jpg 23HaasBck.jpg 23HaasPlate.jpg 23HaasPend.jpg 23HaasTopBlock.jpg

49. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #49 MartinM, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Re: Phillip Haas

Virtually all of Terwilliger's "Phillipp Haas" references should be "Philipp Hauck".
    The bent piece of brass is a lower block holder to help protect the suspension spring from getting abused.
    When the pendulum is removed, the lower block was supposed to be placed in that clip.

50. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Phillip Haas

Thanks, Martin. Kurt