My Bell & Ross BR-01

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Unkei, Apr 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Unkei

Unkei Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    Retired LEO
    Columbus,Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Unkei, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Thought I'd share my Bell & Ross BR-01 Skull watch. This is the original 2009 model. Only thing I don't like is how hard it is for me to see the hands due
    to my Old Eyes! I can really only see them well in good sunlight. I contacted
    Bell & Ross to see if they would paint or replace the hands, but they refused.
    Acted as if even the request was tantamount to heresy! LOL! You'd think for close to 7 grand..they might be a mite more accommodating!
    Cheers,
    Unkei

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're kidding, 7 grand for that watch. Is it platinum plated? Ouch.

3. Unkei

Unkei Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    Retired LEO
    Columbus,Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi richiec,
    Nope....no precious metals. Just a limited edition honoring our Airborne Troops. Came with a special box and an Airborne Patch...LOL! But, I just wanted it..and the heart will not be denied. Truthfully though, the cheapest Bell & Ross comes in at about 4 grand!
    Cheers,
    Unkei

4. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Sep 3, 2000
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice watch. My stores are authorized dealers of this brand. I know we vintage guys who can buy a nice HAmilton vintage gold filled watch for 100 bux or a nice 1602 steel datejust ROlex for 1500 or so often are shocked at the prices of newer watche.

But OP's watch is awesome and priced about right. 12 months ago a fellow walked into our store and bought 2 Bell & Ross Tourbillons. His cost for the paiir? 255k. Not a typo.

Different world in new vs vintage

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On the hands; I have a watch I really like but its hands too were hard to see. When we had it apart we put a small dab of white paint on the tips of the hands. Almost anything including "White out" works and it is not hard to do. Most such materials are easy to remove, if in the future, someone wants to restore it to original.

If you want a bit more you can get the tips dotted with superluminova so you could read it in the dark. It is low risk and easy to do.

6. Unkei

Unkei Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    Retired LEO
    Columbus,Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dr. Jon,
    Yeah...know it can be done..but don't think I'd be comfortable taking the crystal off a watch that cost me nearly 7 grand! And even if I could find a jeweler who would try it...I'm pretty certain it would void my warranty! So...even though I know exactly what needs done...I am hesitant.
    Thanks for your reply,
    Unkei

7. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    You could Always ask a watchmaker to do it for you.

8. Unkei

Unkei Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    Retired LEO
    Columbus,Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi karlmansson,
    yup...that's definitely my next step. I'd rather be able to see the hands than worry about any lessened collector value.
    Cheers,
    Unkei

9. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    For a "close to 7 grand" investment into this watch, I would leave it as is.

It is a cool looking watch, it made me go
    and do a little research on this company, and their watches.

Rob

10. Unkei

Unkei Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    Retired LEO
    Columbus,Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For a "close to 7 grand" investment into this watch, I would leave it as is.

It is a cool looking watch, it made me go
    and do a little research on this company, and their watches.

Yeah...but I bought it as a Watch! If I can't see the hands to read the time...even as an "investment ", it's basically worthless to me. YMMV! Me...I want to be able to see what time it is! Guess I'm just weird! After all....in the world of high end watches...7 Grand is chump change!
    Cheers,
    Unkei

11. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    It's a pity that the hands look to be very much non-standard. Otherwise you could get a spare set, get those painted and still have the original ones if you wanted to sell it.

12. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Why don't you buy a bigger wrist watch with a larger dial, then you could read the time and save this one for weekends and special occasions or just plain showing off.