• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

My 70th clock

Jasons34

Jan 1, 2016
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I got this off of Facebook. I don't know much about these but I know that some had these modern movements in them. The movement was made in 93' and is a hermle. It runs well though I will pull it for a good cleaning. Hopefully someone will have attachment.jpg attachment.jpg some info about this.

Attachments

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
This case design has had a very long run. Gilbert used it for the model they called "Alexis," which appeared in their 1910 catalog. I think I have also seen French versions, which might be a bit earlier. This is a view of my "Alexis." It came with a replaced electric movement; I have since obtained the proper Gilbert 3-plate movement.

attachment.jpg

Attachments

Jasons34

Jan 1, 2016
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I've done google searches for "3 piece clock set" and looked at pictures of mine. I've seen sold listings as well as current listings on eBay of this exact same clock where it has a French movement as well as the sold listing which had this hermle movement which went for a great price. I just don't understand why some have the older movement and others have the Hermle. Could it have been that the older wore out and hermle made direct fit replacements?

Jasons34

Jan 1, 2016
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
So I finally found some info about these. What I have is a repo which is why it has a hermle movement but also found out that these repos are very well made and still fetch a lot of money. But I still don't know who made these repos. Was it hermle? The inside of the case says it's made in italy

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I think your entire set is modern repro., contemporary with the date of the movement. These are quite popular in some
european countries, particularly Italy.

JTD

Jason beat me to the send button!

Jasons34

Jan 1, 2016
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I'm still very happy with the purchase. Only cost me $65 and there is no damage to the case. The movement is in great shape though I need to tweak the one hammer as it's hardly hitting the bell. I'm going to pull the movement and check it over. I had wanted to put this in my living room but the boss (my wife obviously) said and I quote "oh my god that thing is hideous". So I had to put it in my basement on the half wall. I saw this exact clock (and movement) sold in north wales for just under $600. Nice to know these repos still sell well. I'm fine with repos as long as they are quality builds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-