My 1st R&A regulator clock

Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
Country
Today I acquired a very nice wall hanging regulator clock. It has a few nicks and digs, but after checking out the tension on the springs, releasing the hammer which was hung up in the gong coil, it sounds like.....something I really cannot describe it. The good thing is, that I got it to run and it is now keeping time. The movement has an Eagle sitting on a circle with the letters FMS. Overall, it is in very nice condition. I am going to let the springs wind down, then give it a tidy up.

20210219_184343.jpg 20210219_184250.jpg 20210219_184312.jpg

Attachments

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Today I acquired a very nice wall hanging regulator clock. It has a few nicks and digs, but after checking out the tension on the springs, releasing the hammer which was hung up in the gong coil, it sounds like.....something I really cannot describe it. The good thing is, that I got it to run and it is now keeping time. The movement has an Eagle sitting on a circle with the letters FMS. Overall, it is in very nice condition. I am going to let the springs wind down, then give it a tidy up.

View attachment 639224 View attachment 639225 View attachment 639226
Your Vienna style wall clock was made by Friedrich Mauthe, Schwenningen.

Mauthe had quite a few trademarks with the adler (eagle), but I must admit I have never seen that particular eagle.

Regards.

Reactions: Armando Alcaraz

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Does the gong sound a bit like someone hitting an old fashioned metal dustbin (garbage can) with a hammer?

Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
Country
Does the gong sound a bit like someone hitting an old fashioned metal dustbin (garbage can) with a hammer?
It's really is hard to discribe... It's very tiny I guess. I figured it needs to acclimate and I will monitor it for adjustment

Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
Country
My bride said that it is exactly like something being hit with a hammer. Is there something that can be done? Thank you in advace.

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
You can probably improve the sound. The gong needs to be hit by the hammer in the right place. This is the straight part of the gong before it starts to spiral. The hammer must not catch on any other part of the gong or it will sound terrible. You can bend the brass hammer arm to achieve this but be careful as you can snap the brass wire.

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
Atmando,
FYI, the adler (eagle) on your movement is identical to mine and was described as a "bit hairy" as well as it appears to face left, whereas all the other Mauthe eagles face right. Additionally, the circle with FMS is a bit crude looking. According to information I received from Tatyana and Oleg in October, 2018, some very knowledgeable colleagues from Russia, this trademark was used only for a very short time in 1900 and was replaced with a beautiful clear stamp. The below picture is of my movement.
Royce

Antique - Mauthe Movement.jpg

Reactions: new2clocks

Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
Country
Atmando,
FYI, the adler (eagle) on your movement is identical to mine and was described as a "bit hairy" as well as it appears to face left, whereas all the other Mauthe eagles face right. Additionally, the circle with FMS is a bit crude looking. According to information I received from Tatyana and Oleg in October, 2018, some very knowledgeable colleagues from Russia, this trademark was used only for a very short time in 1900 and was replaced with a beautiful clear stamp. The below picture is of my movement.
Royce

View attachment 639412
I found it rather odd as well, when I saw it against other Eagle stamps. Thank you for clarifying that it is an actual Mauthe and not a nock off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff