• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

My 1922 Elgin grade 315 Pocket Watch

S

S.W.

Hi. My watch is at the jewelry store being repaired and cleaned, but my parents were able to email me some photos they had of it.

It was originally given to my grandfather in 1922 by his father as a wedding gift. I recieved it Christmas day, 2006.

The case is marked "W.W.C. CO. REFEREE 20YR"

Has anyone ever seen this dial on another watch? I've been searching all over the net to see another dial like this one, but I haven't found it. I'd love to know if it is a genuine Elgin dial or a 3rd-party replacement part.

How about the knife fob and chain. Ever seen those before? I'm trying to learn as much history as possible about my grandfather's watch.

Here are the photos:

[Image deleted by sw]

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Steve.

Joe Collins

Jan 3, 2004
Country
Region
Steve,
I think your dial is original factory installed. Here is a similar dial fronting a 7j grade 303 movement from 1922.

Joe

171.gif

S

S.W.

Thanks, Joe.

The font used in the numbering, the tick marks, and the "ELGIN" lettering all appear the same. The design in the center is different, but if the dial you posted was indeed original to its watch, then that shows that Elgin did put some fancy dials on their watches. I was thinking the factory dials were usually simpler without designs.

Thanks for posting the photo. It's the most similar dial I've seen.

Steve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-