• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Musical longcase

gentleman jim

Dec 7, 2008
South Carolina
Country
Region
This clock has a mahogany case and cloth covered ports in the bonnet, to let the sound out. Nearly the entire back of the clock is also cloth held in place with with molding. It stands nearly 90" and chimes on 8 nested bells. It appears the dial has been replaced or repainted. The movement has very heavy plates and is trapezoidal in shape. There are no identifying marks of any kind. I believe it is early 20th century but would welcome opinionset or information IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1528.JPG IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1539.JPG

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Could you perhaps improve the lighting to get better shots of the movement?

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Interesting clock. If it is by Jennens he produced longcase clocks for Walter Durfur in 1883 which were an instant success. Durfur subsequently in conjunction with Harris & Harrington used Elliott movements in longcase clocks with Harrington's tubular chimes.

gentleman jim

Dec 7, 2008
South Carolina
Country
Region
The clock is running happily in its new home. I believe it was manufactured by Joesph Jennens, possibly for Walter Durfee. The movement was manufactured by Thwaites and Reed as evidenced by their T & R stamp. This is my first adventure with a T & R movement. It is constructed very robustly and should last a few hundred more years with reasonable care. I am attaching a few improved pictures. Thanks to all for your help. P1010006.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010008.JPG

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Interesting it has a T&R movement who are said to have supplied movements to other makers when demand exceeded their own supply ability. What makes you think it is by Jennens?

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
This would be classified as a chime clock, as opposed to a musical clock. It probably plays the familiar Westminster chime and maybe another one or two chime sequences. e.g. St Michael's, Whittington, or...

Ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irishbogs
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-