Music man not retreating

jwhicks

Dec 21, 2020
Country
Hello! I recently acquired three additional cuckoo clocks from my inlaws. One of them is a two door cuckoo clock with a music box and music man. The pendulum would not stay moving and the music box was super slow. The music man would come out and go back in, but just in slow motion. The bellows are gone so I will have to rebuild those at some point. So I took out the movement, cleaned it, oiled it, and reinstalled it. The pendulum now ticks nicely. However, it seems I have done something wrong. Now the music man stays out all the time! The spring on his rod seems to push him out the door and there does not seem to be anything holding him back. I'm fairly new to this hobby so I'm not super familiar with how he is supposed to go out and come back in. I can see there is a wire that runs over to a cam on the music box but I'm not sure how it is supposed to interact with him. That wire does not have a spring or anything attached to it so it just kind of sits there and does not actually ride on the cam. I assume it would hold the man back and release him while the music plays? It was working before I removed and reinstalled the movement. I have attached a couple of pictures of what it looks like now. I appreciate any advice given.
Thanks,
Jason musicman1.jpg musicman2.jpg

jwhicks

Dec 21, 2020
Country
OK. So there is a spring near the bottom part of the rod he lives on but it seems to push him outward. Where would the return spring attach? I took some pictures before I took out the movement but unfortunately if was before I removed the whistles so I can't see very well in those. I'm wondering if something fell off and I didn't see. Or could the rod have gotten turned around somehow and that existing spring is supposed to be actually pulling him back? It's just a very thin wire spring, not really a coil.

jwhicks

Dec 21, 2020
Country
I figure it out. Once roughbarked said "return spring" I began to realize what happened. The rod the man lives on unwound it's spring when I removed the movement. So I was able to correct that and now he works as before. Thanks for your help. The music box is still slow so now I need to remove it. But it looks like I have to take off the roof because the music box screwed in from above?

jwhicks

Dec 21, 2020
Country
Thanks! Yeah the spring wire is super thin and not very visible in that picture. But you certainly pointed me in the right direction. Understood on the roof. I'll just be super careful when removing, hopefully there is no glue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre