Alarm Music disc clock

dbroghamer

New User
May 17, 2012
Hoping someone can help me find info on this mantle clock that seems to be an alarm clock. Plays a pretty music box style tune at the time set by the movable arm mounted on the hand shaft. No markings on dial or movement. Needs winding every couple of days.

F6BA1405-61EB-4628-B777-494A96F83614.jpeg 7039E680-0FC8-4934-BCC6-F363719EF8E7.jpeg

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
Hoping someone can help me find info on this mantle clock that seems to be an alarm clock. Plays a pretty music box style tune at the time set by the movable arm mounted on the hand shaft. No markings on dial or movement. Needs winding every couple of days.

View attachment 711089 View attachment 711090
I love the players, but never seen one in a clock. way too cool.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country

View attachment 711089 View attachment 711090

I have had two of these over the years, but both long ago. I think both were German but I have disposed of them both and cannot find got any notes on either.

What information are you looking for?

JTD

dbroghamer

New User
May 17, 2012
I have had two of these over the years, but both long ago. I think both were German but I have disposed of them both and cannot find got any notes on either.

What information are you looking for?

JTD
Hi! Sorry I didn’t see your post until today. Here’s a few questions I had…is it primarily an alarm clock? Does it require winding every couple of days? In what time period might it have been created? Was a balance wheel movement standard? What was it called?
Thanking you in advance.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
is it primarily an alarm clock?
Well it is an alarm clock in the same way that the 'gingerbread' or kitchen clocks were, with the little alarm setting disc in the centre of dial. But of course you don't have to use it as an alarm clock, so it's just a clock with an alarm option, in this case a musical disc rather than a bell.

Does it require winding every couple of days?
As I remember, mine were 1 day movements though, like many 1 day movements, they could run a bit longer before thery stopped. I have a feeling there were also 8 day movements produced.

In what time period might it have been created?
Late 19th early 20th century.

Was a balance wheel movement standard?
Yes.

What was it called?
Don't think there was any particular name, just 'musical mantel alarm clock' or some similar description.

JTD

dbroghamer

New User
May 17, 2012
Well it is an alarm clock in the same way that the 'gingerbread' or kitchen clocks were, with the little alarm setting disc in the centre of dial. But of course you don't have to use it as an alarm clock, so it's just a clock with an alarm option, in this case a musical disc rather than a bell.

As I remember, mine were 1 day movements though, like many 1 day movements, they could run a bit longer before thery stopped. I have a feeling there were also 8 day movements produced.

Late 19th early 20th century.

Yes.

Don't think there was any particular name, just 'musical mantel alarm clock' or some similar description.

JTD
Thank you kind sir! It seems to do everything it’s supposed to and I’m pleased to know that!

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thank you kind sir! It seems to do everything it’s supposed to and I’m pleased to know that!
Yes, your looks in good condition. I don't think these clocks ever became very popular as they were a bit of a nuisance to deal with daily, but they are quite collectable now.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent