Help Music Box Ratchet Wheel Stripped? (Anton Schneider 8TMT 1070/9)

AlexanderDelarge

Apr 19, 2021
Country
Hello

I bought one of these last month on Craigslist. 8TMT 1071/9 - Anton Schneider Soehne. My clock (8TMT 1070/9) is a slight variation of the Anton Schneider Masterpiece shown. The only difference is mine does not have the man chopping wood. Mine is a likely an older model.

After a little tweaking I was able get the clock working. Recently however it would stop ticking right before the cuckoo would chime. I made an attempt to bend the wire shown in the pictures but that only made it worse. I ended up straightening the wire and slightly tilting the clock on the wall. It sounded spot on after that.

The clock ran fine for a few weeks until it stopped playing the music. I had initially made adjustments to the music when it was first hung. Those adjustments involved bending the wires shown so the fan/fly wheel could spin as well as moving the rubber stopper. I had it where the music would play on both the hour and half hour and it worked great.

As of a few days ago it stopped playing music. Seems like it was in the released position, but the little “fan” or flywheel fan was being blocked by the rubber stopper which was pushed too far down. While I attempted to make the adjustments again the weight on the music just slid right down to the floor. Seems like the gear for the music weight is stripped or close to it . It will stay up when idle but tends to fall when music lever is released. I also noticed that the lever that releases the music was pretty stiff. I don’t think the cuckoo wire would have been able to release it.

• I think I need to adjust or replace the gear that holds the music weight up.
  • I think I will also need to make adjustments to the wire/rubber stopper that releases the music (it seems really stiff to release it). From what I can tell the slipping of the weight caused the music drum to catch and “stop” further down making the subsequent release more difficult. It appears that if the weight doesn’t slip when its released it will stop before it becomes too tight. If so, fixing the ratchet may fix this issue as well.
  • I also think I need to adjust the pendulum to an even tick/tock. Looking at the clock from behind I need to raise the right side (left from the front) about 1” to get an even tick. This also keeps it ticking, as when the clock is level on the wall it slows down and stops after a minute.

Any guidance /advice would be apricated

Thanks

Matt

IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2180.jpg IMG_2181.jpg IMG_2182.jpg IMG_2183.jpg IMG_2184.jpg IMG_2185.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your clock is either 11 years or 31 years old? I'm guessing 11.

Some parts are available for your clock. Otherwise you will have to repair what you have, or look for a donar clock.

As you probably already know cuckoo clocks can be difficult to work on.

Note, generally you will need to remove the assemblies from the case in order to find and work on the problem.

Willie X

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Looking at photo 4, you have the music set up wrong.

How it works is that fan holds the music before the warning on the plastic tube attached to the lever, as the cuckoo sounds the top wire then hits the lever releasing the warning and the other wire holds the fan till the cuckoo stops.
Why the lever is tight is because the plastic tube on the lever is not stopping the fan (which controls the barrel) before it hits the top of the hole the lever falls into, move the tube toward the fan so it engages the fan and therefore stops the barrel before the lever hits the top of the hole.
As for the weight dropping or the stripped gear I cannot say as I can't see, show us a photo of what gear you are talking about.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
If it is the ratchet and click ( OP calls gear) he is talking about he should be able to pull the chain in both directions as the gear on it looks fine, therefore the ratchet is ratchet, he can get a new one if the is the case.

Reactions: roughbarked

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The clicks in those are not the greatest, but they are available. Pull your wheel and see what you think. Willie's idea for a donor is probably your best bet.

AlexanderDelarge

Apr 19, 2021
Country
Hey thanks for all the reply's. When I raise the weight for the music its "Clicks" and operates as intended. It will also hold the weight in place as long as the " warning" lever is holding the music drum. The issues seems to occur when the music drum is released to play...that's when the "ratchet" or the "Click" doesn't seem to have the same strength to hold and the weight is liable to drop. If the clock is "OFF" and I trigger the music to play, the weight will likely drop and I can pull the weight in both directions. It will stay up sometimes but it usually falls. In the second image the chain appears to be slipping through the Black Gear/Wheel that the sharpie marker is pointing to. What I was going to do was remove the music box assembly and take a closer look. Oh the issue with the music box setup wire configuration is likely because the cuckoo was engaged or about to go when I stopped the clock so the wires were getting into position to release the drum. I also see what you are saying about the rubber stopper and the fan. If I don't stop the fan first the drum over torques when it engages the "warning" and there is too much tension for it to be easily released. So if I need to get a new part and cant repair/adjust the one I have how will I know what to ask for and where to get it?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Removing the MB is a good idea. You need to figure out if the click is letting loose or is it something between there and the fly on the box.

AlexanderDelarge

Apr 19, 2021
Country
Ok....I think the issue was the set screw that hold the gear on the music box shaft was slipping. It appears to be a M1.6 X 2.5mm screw....which didn't tighten all the way when using a M1.5 Allen. I located a M1.6 Allen (I believe) and tightened it. I'm in the process if putting the box back in but it appeared to stay in place when I have it a tug.

IMG_2188.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
There you go. Good sleuthing! :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members