music box gear

Billy

Dec 14, 2004
Western NY
Country
Region
Hi All,

Does anyone know if you can just buy the drive gear for the music barrel for a cuckoo clock?
I checked a couple of suppliers, but found nothing.
Someone at one time got a little aggressive and stripped the gear of several teeth.
I'm guessing the owner will not want to buy a whole music unit for a low end clock.
Thanks, Billy

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hi Bill

What is the make of the cuckoo movement on which it is used? Is the clock a 30 hours 8 day? A picture of the gear would help. Also the diameter of the wheel and a count of the number of teeth. Some one of use might have one in their spare parts box.

TJK :cool:

Billy

Dec 14, 2004
Western NY
Country
Region
Hi again,

The music box comes out of a Herr clock. 30 hour, 1 melody. It's the one that has the seated little fellow that drops down.

Also, how long does it take for Black Forest to confirm a password for their web site? I registered couple days ago, and as yet, have not heard from them.

Thanks, Billy

daniel384

Oct 19, 2008
Southwest Missouri
Country
Region
Also, how long does it take for Black Forest to confirm a password for their web site? I registered couple days ago, and as yet, have not heard from them.

You may want to check your junk email. Your spam filter may have sent your confirmation to the junk folder.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Billy,

There are very few repair parts available for cuckoo MBs. BFI currently has 4 replacement cuckoo MBs, two top mounts and two side mounts. I think both of the top mount MBs have provisions for the music man, or Zither player.

IMOE a stripped pin drum gear usually requires a replacement box. This is expensive and very time consuming 90% of the time. You will also have to explain to the customer that the tune itself and the quality of the tune will be different. Most clock owners are very sensitive to ANY change in their clock, so when you say you are ordering a replacement MB you better be dang sure that the customer is OK with a different sound.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hi All,

Does anyone know if you can just buy the drive gear for the music barrel for a cuckoo clock?
I checked a couple of suppliers, but found nothing.
Someone at one time got a little aggressive and stripped the gear of several teeth.
I'm guessing the owner will not want to buy a whole music unit for a low end clock.
Thanks, Billy
First thing I'll caution you on Billy, is guessing. People who own clocks keep them because they have a special place in their heart. They will usually pay well to keep their 'baby' running.
Now, on to the issue. Music boxes are not all that complex, and I have been successful at buying a new one and swapping out both the barrel and the harp, utilizing the new drive wheels to run it. You may find that to be a way to preserve the "old" while supplying the 'new'. :)

Billy

Dec 14, 2004
Western NY
Country
Region
Yeah,

Good thought on the tune difference. I was digging through my parts and found another box. I was just going to put the whole unit in if the owner was ok with a used box, but didn't think about a tune difference. Regardless, I have a good gear to swap if it comes to that.

BFI still hasn't replied with a password yet.:^

Thanks, Billy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eric O
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre