Music box can’t get it adjusted

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
So I have this clock with a music box. I’ve not had this set up yet before. I can’t figure out how to set the timing up. For one, I can’t get enough run to get the pin out of the drum. If I adjust the lever on the movement downwards, it sometimes works and sometimes will not. My question is, ho do I set the lever with the wire to stop the fan during warning to give it enough start up run to get going. This clock is a total mess, the owner fooled around with this thing, he told me. So the movement is cleaned and ready to run, it’s just a matter of someone explaining to me how to get enough push down on the music box lever, and then not to have the music partially play during cuckoo. It’s also two tunes. Does this play just on the hour?
Help me out here I’m literally begging. I’m about to jump off a bridge.

4AF669E8-A223-4D19-9060-1D6257BDE596.jpeg 84CCA481-AF64-40AA-9A8F-62B3E997509E.jpeg 4B15F1F2-4867-410D-AE7D-8BCEBD9C3343.jpeg

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I think that's the wrong setup. Maybe the wrong music box. I'm trying to remember. I think that box needs a long lever that reaches out to the rear and that is what the rack lifting lever would push down to release the drum. The wire then should get in the way of the fan until everything drops back to the stop position.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
The lever on the movement pushes down on the music box lever. Then the thin wire stops the fan. I can’t get enough run to get the pin out of the drum

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
That lever on the movement does in fact push down the lever on the music box. Problem ist he Fan wire which attaches to that same lever stops the fan so it can get a run out of the drum. I’ve adjusted this thing a million ways. I’ve never had this kind of trouble with a music box. How can the same lever both push the music box lever to start it and stop the fan for warning too? If it does run with an adjustment the fan wire for warning allows the music to play slightly. Please.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Look at the slot in the three leg stop lever. Typically the stop lever will be pulled down to a point where the screw head is centered in said slot. This is the point where the stop tang engages the fan. To low and the stop lever tip will jam in the drum. To high and the stop lever will simply drop back into the hole, especially if the MB is old and worn a bit.

Seems simple but there is a big set of adjustments that have to be correct for these babies to work right.

Good luck, Willie X

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Where are we talking about here.....So let’s say I need to start from scratch. What steps do I need to take form the beginning. Assuming the owner farted around with everything.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
First thing is this box plays two tunes. If you check the photos, the lever on the rear of the movement pushed down on the lever from the music box. It is supposed to theoretically push it down and let the pin come out of the drum. The part I’m having a problem with is that the thin wire attached to that same lever stops the fan and does not allow it to come out. Or if it’s adjusted to allow it to come out, it then had too much clearance and allows the box to play single notes while it’s cuckooing I’ve done a bunch of music boxes but can’t figure this one out, also, if it had two tunes does it play one each 1/2 hour? Or both on the hour?

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
So willie. What is the adjustment to get the pin to pull out and get past the hole. I think if I can get that tk happen the other wire will be fairly simple to hold the fan

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
PS,

Are you following another currently running similar thread from 2018?

Keep in mind that the tiny pull back spring is being tensioned (pulled down a bit) as the MB STOPS. If the stop lever stops in the right position, at the next cycle when clears the edge of the hole, the spring will pop the stop lever up about 1mm and it can't fall back in the hole. The warning wire will start to go up and down on the released fan, as the clock cuckoos. The fan will be released when the rack hook drops, way over on the front of the clock. This will raise the warning wire to about 1/2mm clear of the fan.

Check the warning wire. It should drop into the fly perpendicular with the fly's arbor. This will make for easier adjustment.

Willie X

Last edited:

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I’ve done a whole bunch of music boxes. This one has the lever that pushes on the music box lever to pull the pin out of the drum, and the wire that stops the fly in warning is a thinner wire attached to the same lever that pushes the music box to start it. The lever that holds the fly in warning is what is not allowing the pin to clear the drum because they are attached tk the same lever. All the other music boxes I’ve worked with have had one wire or lever tk oil and one wire to hold the fan I. Warning

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Nearly all have two wires. The two wires are staked onto one brass collar. The collar is attached directly to the back end of rack hook shaft. Willie X

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
So here’s my question.
If I have the wire about 1/2mm above the flu at rest, and the bigger lever is pushing down on the music box lever to release the pin, what do I need to do in rear for the pin to clear the hole in the drum. There must be some adjustment on the music box end. I’ve adjusted the two wires on the movmwnt over and over with no luck. As I said, I’ve done ok with these up until now :most people bend the fan warning wire and it’s easily fixed. But when the cycle starts, the drum isn’t turning enough for the pin to clear the hole.
Would the three legged arm on the music box as you have said have something to do with this. The way it is set up now is that the arm on that lever that stops the fan at the end of the cycle hits the fly rather deeply, there is no rubber cover on it:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Watch how it stops. The lever enters the hole and draws the stop lever into the fan. At that point, there should not be excessive torque on the lever, or it won't release from the hole. In other words, the lever in the hole does not stop the music. The lever at the fan position does. As the top lever enters the fan, a spring should be tensioned a little at the lever in the hole, so when it exits the hole it will spring back a bit so the lever can't reenter it.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I forgot to respond back to this post. I fixed it the morning after I started this thread. Well thanks for all the help: as I had suspected somebody literally bent every lever and wire in this poor thing. I readjusted all the wires and levers as I always do and it still wouldn’t work. I then took the box out again and looked at it. I said, could this guy have actually bent the drum pin lever too. I grabbed my needles nose pliers and gently bent the lever with the pin away from the drum and it all worked. It’s really insane what some owners will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller