Murday Murday-Reason Reproduction

Richard Hatch

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
Can anyone identify the clock in the attached picture? It is marked "David Harriman, Rickmansworth". It appears to be a loosely based copy of a Murday-Reason Balance wheel clock. However, this one looks like it might have been produced in some numbers rather than being a "one off". I would appreciate any information on this clock or other copies. Richard 193.jpg

Richard Hatch

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
Can anyone identify the clock in the attached picture? It is marked "David Harriman, Rickmansworth". It appears to be a loosely based copy of a Murday-Reason Balance wheel clock. However, this one looks like it might have been produced in some numbers rather than being a "one off". I would appreciate any information on this clock or other copies. Richard 193.jpg

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The Murday in your photo bears a striking resemblance to one sold by Christies a year ago.

It was described as "An English Mahogany and Brass Murday Style Battery-Electric Mantel Timepiece." It has a glass chapter ring and a glass dome over the clock and a plack "Electric Clock made by the Reason Mfg Co. Ltd, Brighton, Murday's patent."

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Richard
I don't think it is an original Reason from 1912 (?) (this one here has a centre seconds hand and nylon or similar contact posts), and it is definitely not the John Wilding design that I made a few years ago.
What it may be is a series of articles from The Clockmaker that ran concurrently with the Wilding articles, making the design a bit more like the Reason.
This had no c/secs hand, but I suppose anyone could do a freelance design.
I have conversed by PM with Richard on this.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Richard,

I have one of these, and know the following about them:

1) They are definitely replicas, not originals. They differ quite a bit from the originals and also from Wilding's design, but as Mike points out are more like the originals. They were made by David Harriman, as is stamped on your clock.

2) David Harriman was a clock and antiques trader living in Rickmansworth, Herts, UK in the 1970's-1990's. I knew him personally and did a good bit of business with him, unfortunately he passed away just a few years ago.

3) In the mid-80's, David worked with someone else (don't know who) to produce these replicas of the Murday-Reason clocks, with the idea to sell them as completed clocks and as assembly kits. I believe these "were" the kits that were offered in The Clockmaker, as I bought one of those and the parts are virtually identical to Harriman's clock (the kit is still waiting to be made). At least 50 were made, possibly more. It turned out the demand was underwhelming, so the venture really didn't get off the ground and I believe he lost money on the project. The Clockmaker magazine also folded after only a couple years of publication, as far as I know there was no relationship between them.

I got my clock from David in 1989 on a visit to England. It was one of the last ones he had left from the project. It runs well and is reasonably well made. Sitting beside it now is an original Murday-Reason with glass dial, also running well. The original is better quality, but it's still interesting to see the two together.

John Hubby

Richard Hatch

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
John and Mike:
Thanks for the info. I would be interested in a kit, should one ever show up for sale. I wonder what became of the rest of the parts? Richard

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Richard, when I bought mine from David he told me all the kits had been sold sometime earlier and there were three assembled clocks still available. That confirmed info I received about a year earlier from "The Clockmaker" when I tried to order one of the kits for a friend, that the kits had been sold out and none were available.

From that info I don't think there is anything readily available. You might put a query in "CLOCKS" magazine to see if a kit can be located in the U.K.

Just another bit of info . . Les mentions above the clock sold by Christies. That was a "real" original Murday-Reason that had been offered around before it went up to auction. The price realized was somewhat less than the seller had wanted in private so I doubt he was very happy with the outcome, especially considering his net after seller's premium.

John Hubby

jim.fortress

Jan 11, 2005
.Hi Richard,

I bought this clock on ebay recently, and have just discovered this thread, the clock arrived with the dome smashed, fortunately I was able to purchase a new one the exact size from USA, it arrived within four days of purchase to UK, now thats wghat I call Service.

Whilst at the Mannheim clock fair I enquired about David Harriman, it appears that the rumours of his death are unfounded as apparantly he is very much alive and well and living in France.

It was origanally intended that about fifty of these would be made and sold, however I am informed that there where no more than about five actually sold as complete clocks. Whether the kits are the same I cannot say.

The clock is now restored and running well although like the original Murday it copies it both gains and loses time by a couple of minutes each week.

I am hoping to discover who actually made these clocks and am hoping to contact David Harriman through one of his previous contacts.

Regards

Jim

John Hubby

Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Jim, I'm very pleased to hear that David is living. My info that he had passed away came from another contact in the UK who very evidently had his info wrong.

The last I had heard from David was in 1996, tried to contact him in 1998 and found his phone number disconnected and mail returned. It was then that my other contact told me of David's (NOT) demise . . .

Do you have any info on how he might be contacted? If so please let me know privately.

John Hubby

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool