Mt left arm

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Nov 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    For two days I have been wrestling with add-in or add-on stuff on my computer and kept getting messages to call a certain number - that was listed in one of the postings I was receiving without my permission. It could have been some sort of virus (man made) attached to one of the messages that was sent me.

Trying all kinds of stuff to clear up my computer and get rid of this malware did not work. I kept getting big messages on a blue screen with all kinds of dire warnings to call a certain listed number and they would help me straighten out my computer. Of course if I called them…there would be a fancy charge with all kinds of wording to use their skill to keep my computer running and safe for a monthly charge.

I could not use my mouse; it would not point and had no effect on what was posted on those huge typed blue screens. Turning the computer on and off was no help. Finally I was able to start my computer in safe mode by hitting F8 on my keyboard a number of times…and come to a restore point in safe mode…that did the job, I went back to a couple days earlier before all this mishagoss (crazy stuff) started. It took almost 45 minutes in safe mode for the computer to restore its operation to an earlier date before all the bother started.

Finally the computer…like magic…restarted and was like it old self and had no problems or add-ins or add-ons or hints of a virus and I was one happy camper whose left arm is the computer to do stuff on its electronic brains. I ain't no surgeon…but I sure as hell got rid of what was ailing my poor left arm.

Accomplishment is better than icing on the cake.

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice going Dan. My father used to get those and unfortunately he did call them. Since I didn't live close to him, I finally coaxed him into calling his local computer guy to get it straightened out. Which he did.

Hopefully what you did lasts and solves the problem.

David

3. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thankfully, you were able to restore from an earlier date. Some malware blocks that option as part of hijacking your machine.
    The upside is that you probably won't be revisiting the site or clicking the link in an email that caused the problem as the honeypot that caused you to do it, previously (provided there was one) is no longer of interest to you or one which you found didn't have what you thought it would when you accessed it.

4. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, I would strongly suggest that you install Malwarebytes or a similar free anti-malware program, and run it at least once a week. You were lucky this time! Here is a link.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Click on "download" for the free version. This is the one I use, with good results, but there are other good ones out there too, all free.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Peter

THANK YOU! Installed.

Dan