Moving the movement to a new case

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by VicZA, Jun 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. VicZA

VicZA Registered User

Sep 5, 2017
    Country Flag:
    A while back I purchased a Gustav Becker wall clock for a restoration project I wanted to try and started to look into the restoration of the case - however the case was just a little beyong my capabilities and knowledge and was also full of worm holes so I have been looking out for a new case. I managed to pick one up for a good price and am hoping to switch the movement to the new case.

1st problem : the piece that holds the movement (not sure of it's name) is different in the better case (see Image 1 - old one vs Image 2 - new one) so I will have to use the one from the old case, but:
    (a) the holes are not in the same place (image 3) so I will have to make new one - any tips and concerns here?
    (b) I will have to cover the old screw holes - what can I use for this? (image 4)
    (c) If I cover the holes above shall I polish the wood again and if so how is this done?
    (d) anything else that I am missing here? is this advisable and/or possible?

Thanks for the help
    Victor

Image 1.jpg Image 2.jpg Image 3.JPG Image 4.jpg

2. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Can the movement be securely mounted to either the old or new brackrt?

VicZA likes this.
  3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1. First, make sure the bracket is aligned as best as possible. Make sure it is level, centered l/r and up/down to match the front opening. Mark the holes carefully and drill a small pilot hole in the middle. Using a larger bit in wood tends to wander unless you have a spur wood bit. The best drill bits and types to use

2. I would used any wood filler and stain or paint to match.

3. If you are careful with the wood filler, there will not be any change to the surrounding wood. You will just need to match the filler itself to the surrounding wood.

4. This is pretty straight forward, so I don't have anything else to add.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Tom

4. VicZA

VicZA Registered User

Sep 5, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Yes it fits perfectly well on the old one.

Thanks for the detail.

A few subsequent queries:
    1 - When you say: "align the movement to the front opening" - should the movement follow the contour of the arch in the front panel - I assume it should.
    2 - The only thing I have an issue with is the matching of the filler to the surrounding wood is that the wood seems like it is either polished and or a glossy veneer - any tips on matching that?

Thanks again for the help :)

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1. Photos would help, but it seems like the dial should be centered in the front arch. Is the arch the appropriate diameter for the dial?

2. I would probably paint the filler after it dries and then use shellac or something to try to match the sheen. It looks like the old mounting bracket has left an imprint on the back board, so unless you get very aggressive with the restoration, it will be hard to disguise it completely. Being inside the case and not completely visible, I would not worry too much about it. It will probably not be too noticeable even if it is not perfect.

Tom

VicZA likes this.
  6. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Where I was coming from on my previous question was: can you mount the movement in the new case using the mount that came with the new case?

This would eliminate the need to fill holes and match the finish. The mount that came with the new case is not as fancy as the old mount so that would be a detractor. Or you could investigate making a new back board for the new case, which would allow you to use the fancy old mount.