• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Moving my entire clock collection.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
The day I have always have dreaded has finally come. I have been trying to sell my house for sometime now, and it finally happened. While I cannot wait to move into my new home. I am dreading moving my entire clock collection and all my antiques. I have a couple of friends from my local nawcc chapter that have agreed to hold onto a few of my more valuable clocks until I get settle but I still have quite a few left to relocate.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
how far, and do you have any overlap time before you have to be out of the old place?

(and, congrats!)

Reactions: Russell Dickson

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
I moved about 6 years ago. It was just across town, about 80 clocks but only one grandfather. Filled the basement floor and they stayed there for a couple years until I set up my new dungeon. So don't over exert yourself, they will wait for you. I can't imagine how hard it would be if you are going a great distance. I would load six or eight a day in my van keeping the pendulums and keys together with the clocks drive to the new place and haul them down the basement. We lived in the old house 45 years, decided that people should move every five years just so they don't have so much "STUFF".

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
how far, and do you have any overlap time before you have to be out of the old place?

(and, congrats!)
Thanks we are going to do the closings on both house on the same day, so I have to shuttle my stuff off to storage first, the from there to my new house. I am still in Upstate NY, we just decided to get a place in a different town with more land around it in a more residential setting. The house is perfect for my clock collection lots of nooks and crannies, wall spaces and places to put my clocks.

Reactions: Jmeechie

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
I moved about 6 years ago. It was just across town, about 80 clocks but only one grandfather. Filled the basement floor and they stayed there for a couple years until I set up my new dungeon. So don't over exert yourself, they will wait for you. I can't imagine how hard it would be if you are going a great distance. I would load six or eight a day in my van keeping the pendulums and keys together with the clocks drive to the new place and haul them down the basement. We lived in the old house 45 years, decided that people should move every five years just so they don't have so much "STUFF".
I am about in the same boat clock number wise. I am not moving too far from my current house either, a couple towns over, just to a more residential property with a little more land. We lived in my old house for about 20 years. It is funny the first question everyone that knows me asks is what are you going to do with all those clocks, lol I expect I will take a page out of your book and store the clocks for a while and slowly reintroduce them.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Hopefully, you have more wall and shelf space. ;)
It was funny when we were looking for houses that was one of the things I had in mind it had to be suitable for my clock collection. The one space on a wall on the staircase will be perfect for my Ansonia Santa Fe Regulator wall clock. It is an newly updated older home c1900. It seems older houses are more suited for clocks, at least in my mind

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
So I am within a week or two of finally closing on my new house and all my clocks are safely stored away. I cant wait to get them into my new home and working again. The house I am selling is so silent now, missing all the ticking and chiming and cuckooing that made it seem alive. This house was definitely a clock collectors house. I will have to post some pictures of my collection once I get it staged in the new house. It will take sometime though I have quite a few to set up.

Reactions: PatH

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
yes, indeed. are you a photoshop guy? i like to take photos of walls where i'm going to put clocks and create to-scale mockups to dial in left/right, height, etc.

how many is 'quite a few'? i'd feel sorry for you if i weren't so jealous. :)

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I can remember my last move, when my clocks were in storage for a while before they arrived at the new place - opening the boxes was almost like welcoming back old friends... Best of luck with the move

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
think you should post photos here each time you hang or set up one.... if you were so inclined, you could do a time-lapse archive of the entire process... and then we could watch as you set them all up.... empty house to clock house!

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
yes, indeed. are you a photoshop guy? i like to take photos of walls where i'm going to put clocks and create to-scale mockups to dial in left/right, height, etc.

how many is 'quite a few'? i'd feel sorry for you if i weren't so jealous. :cool:
That is a great idea. Not including the ones i sell about 50 or so that I would consider my most prized. I dont know if I could count how many I buy and sell over the course of the year.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
I can remember my last move, when my clocks were in storage for a while before they arrived at the new place - opening the boxes was almost like welcoming back old friends... Best of luck with the move
I can relate to that feeling. My house seems so empty now with none of them here. I cannot wait to get them up in the new house

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Yes, and now's an opportunity to take any pictures that might have been missed previously. Have fun!

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
Instead of "Time to Hang Out," You are, "Out to Hang Time". OOPs, sorry. I know that was bad. I'll go rinse my mouth out with clock solution. :D

I have an acquaintance who has a huge collection and they were on display in his business. He sold his building and moved to a smaller one without taking into account the clocks. Over 20 Comtoise Morbier, Vienna Regulators, Dozens of adamatines, several Herschede's, banjo's, crystal regulators, Chelsea's, etc, and he realized too late not enough space. Many are still stored in pods at a warehouse.

At the tender age of 15 I bought my first pride and joy, a Gustav Becker round top hall clock. Knowing little as I did we showed up at this house to pick it up in a 1964 Chevrolet station wagon. I had a chaise lounge cushion to lay it on and blankets to cover it. Guy's wife said after we left he almost laughed himself silly at the kid with the clock on a bed. I still have that clock.

I would hate to have to move my collection now. You are in for a labor of love.
DPC

Becker-2.jpg

Last edited:

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
Instead of "Time to Hang Out," You are, "Out to Hang Time". OOPs, sorry. I know that was bad. I'll go rinse my mouth out with clock solution. :D

I have an acquaintance who has a huge collection and they were on display in his business. He sold his building and moved to a smaller one without taking into account the clocks. Over 20 Comtoise Morbier, Vienna Regulators, Dozens of adamatines, several Herschede's, banjo's, crystal regulators, Chelsea's, etc, and he realized too late not enough space. Many are still stored in pods at a warehouse.

At the tender age of 15 I bought my first pride and joy, a Gustav Becker round top hall clock. Knowing little as I did we showed up at this house to pick it up in a 1964 Chevrolet station wagon. I had a chaise lounge cushion to lay it on and blankets to cover it. Guy's wife said after we left he almost laughed himself silly at the kid with the clock on a bed. I still have that clock.

I would hate to have to move my collection now. You are in for a labor of love.
DPC

View attachment 610550
Thanks for sharing your experience. I forgot how cranky some of my clocks were. As I try to hang some of them they are giving me a hard time with staying running. I am finding new enjoyment as I find the right place for the right clock. I have 3 up and running so far. Ill post pictures tomorrow. .

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I moved a few months ago to a different state and a much smaller house. I have a little work shop building out back that I recently got insulated and have started getting it organized. My clocks are mostly in boxes or scattered around in there now. That's where most will be housed now. My wife doesn't share my passion, so we only have 5 clocks in the house. At least I have it air conditioned and heated out there. I also found a new interest. This state is perfect for growing carnivorous plants, so I started a little collection of them. Had to make an artificial bog for them. I also recently restored an old early 1900's Gem Roller Organ. Biggest bellows I've ever had to install! Similar to cuckoo bellows, but way bigger :)

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
I moved a few months ago to a different state and a much smaller house. I have a little work shop building out back that I recently got insulated and have started getting it organized. My clocks are mostly in boxes or scattered around in there now. That's where most will be housed now. My wife doesn't share my passion, so we only have 5 clocks in the house. At least I have it air conditioned and heated out there. I also found a new interest. This state is perfect for growing carnivorous plants, so I started a little collection of them. Had to make an artificial bog for them. I also recently restored an old early 1900's Gem Roller Organ. Biggest bellows I've ever had to install! Similar to cuckoo bellows, but way bigger :)

Sounds cool!
I went to an estate sale last year of a former music professor. In a modest sized house I walked in to find a full pipe organ built in to what would be the den. Pipes from pencil size up to inches across and feet tall ringed the room. My first thought was the pipe organ playing in the old Don Knott's movie, "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken." Must have been something to hear in that small house.

Your comparison to a cuckoo bellows is good. After all, how many ways can you blow air through a reeded pipe to make sound. Must have been cool to work on. :)

DPC

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
My garage has a huge loft above it that I would love to insulate and make a clock shop out of like you did.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
It has been awhile since i update this thread. I finally am sorting my clocks a little more. This room is known as my "Treasure Room" because it has a good chunk of my favorite clocks. I plan on separating my collection eventually by rooms in my house each room will have a theme of sorts, a German room, a French room, Early America weight driven and spring driven room, etc. Sorry for the low visibility of the pictures. i thought the light was better but as i am posting I am realizing how dim the light is. Pic #1 Howard #70, Carter Calander Clock, GHS Mantle Cuckoo, Terry and Andrews Steeple on Steeple. Pic#2 #Atmos Clocks, and an Ansonia Crystal Regulator, Pic#3 Seth Thomas#2, Japy Freres Enamel and Ormolu mantle Clock, Unknown mission Mantle Clock, Pic#5 Southern Clock Co Fashion#4, Oswald Skull Clock, Seth Thomas # 1 Extra, Pic#6 George B Owen retailer label on a New Haven movement Steeple, Unknown maker German Mantle Cuckoo, Junghans Diana Swinging Arm Clock

View attachment 652200 20210502_102402[3983].jpg 20210502_102413[3982].jpg 20210502_102432[3981].jpg 20210502_102449[3980].jpg 20210502_102458[3979].jpg

View attachment 652200 20210502_102350[3984].jpg

20210502_102402[3983].jpg 20210502_102413[3982].jpg 20210502_102432[3981].jpg 20210502_102449[3980].jpg 20210502_102458[3979].jpg 20210502_102350[3984].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
It has been awhile since i update this thread. I finally am sorting my clocks a little more. This room is known as my "Treasure Room" because it has a good chunk of my favorite clocks. I plan on separating my collection eventually by rooms in my house each room will have a theme of sorts, a German room, a French room, Early America weight driven and spring driven room, etc. Sorry for the low visibility of the pictures. i thought the light was better but as i am posting I am realizing how dim the light is.

View attachment 652200 View attachment 652201 View attachment 652202 View attachment 652203 View attachment 652204 View attachment 652205
Nice collection, Russell!

Regards.

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
It has been awhile since i update this thread. I finally am sorting my clocks a little more. This room is known as my "Treasure Room" because it has a good chunk of my favorite clocks. I plan on separating my collection eventually by rooms in my house each room will have a theme of sorts, a German room, a French room, Early America weight driven and spring driven room, etc. Sorry for the low visibility of the pictures. i thought the light was better but as i am posting I am realizing how dim the light is. Pic #1 Howard #70, Carter Calander Clock, GHS Mantle Cuckoo, Terry and Andrews Steeple on Steeple. Pic#2 #Atmos Clocks, and an Ansonia Crystal Regulator, Pic#3 Seth Thomas#2, Japy Freres Enamel and Ormolu mantle Clock, Unknown mission Mantle Clock, Pic#5 Southern Clock Co Fashion#4, Oswald Skull Clock, Seth Thomas # 1 Extra, Pic#6 George B Owen retailer label on a New Haven movement Steeple, Unknown maker German Mantle Cuckoo, Junghans Diana Swinging Arm Clock

View attachment 652200 View attachment 652201 View attachment 652202 View attachment 652203 View attachment 652204 View attachment 652205

Sorry about the doubles of the pictures not sure how it happened

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you know, if you lost the mirror and artwork you'd have more room for clocks... :)

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region

View attachment 652200 View attachment 652211

View attachment 652201 View attachment 652202 View attachment 652203 View attachment 652204 View attachment 652205 View attachment 652211
Forgot to mention the cast iron Ansonia Rosalind under the mirror.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country

View attachment 652200 View attachment 652211

View attachment 652201 View attachment 652202 View attachment 652203 View attachment 652204 View attachment 652205 View attachment 652211
Sweet.

For those who are bothered by ticking, the Atmos clocks would be perfect for the bedroom??

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaChelle
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller