Moving Eye Cuckoo Clock Info Needed

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
I walk away cause I didn't like the price. The next day I paid it.:)
I really want to know who the manufacturer is, when it was made, rarity, and any other info on it.
Thanks, Mark P3050038.JPG P3050045.JPG P3050046.JPG P3050050.JPG P3050052.JPG

Reactions: Russell Dickson

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Your clock is almost certainly from southern Germany and probably dates to around 1870-80. Moving-eye clocks are not uncommon and are often seen in Europe (and sometimes on E-Bay). Combined with cuckoo is somewhat less common.

It appears to be unsigned and so unless someone can identify the movement from its form, you may never know who made it. But there are people on this board who can identify movements in this way, so let us hope for the best.

JTD

chronologiker

Deceased
Jun 28, 2017
Country
Without further information, it is almost impossible to determine the manufacturer. And my impression is, it is a clock of the trade and not of a particular workshop.

Is there any inscriptions on the back?

Chronologiker

chronologiker

Deceased
Jun 28, 2017
Country
Yes, I would call your clock as a "clock of the trade". This means, all parts of your clock were bought by different suppliers and then your clock was mounted together.

- The movement was made by one of the bigger BF foundries, but I don´t know which one. The shape of the plates is interesting and reminds me to a house.

- The case I think is by Peter Wehrle in Eisenbach, who made many such cases. Peter Wehrle was one of the most importand case makers of the Black Forest of that time.

I would date your cuckoo about 1890.

Best regards!

Chronologiker

Reactions: Robert Gift

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
Yes, I would call your clock as a "clock of the trade". This means, all parts of your clock were bought by different suppliers and then your clock was mounted together.

- The movement was made by one of the bigger BF foundries, but I don´t know which one. The shape of the plates is interesting and reminds me to a house.

- The case I think is by Peter Wehrle in Eisenbach, who made many such cases. Peter Wehrle was one of the most importand case makers of the Black Forest of that time.

I would date your cuckoo about 1890.

Best regards!

Chronologiker
Thanks for the info! Is there somewhere I can find more information on Peter Wehrle, or any books available on these clocks?

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Justin Miller, in his excellent book "Rare and Unusual Black Forest Clocks," has chapters on cuckoos and moving eye clocks. There are a few pictures of clocks with both features, though not exactly like yours, and they have wood movements. A few cuckoo clocks without moving eyes and in case styles similar to yours are illustrated and given dates of around 1860. He was going to write a book only on Black Forest cuckoo clocks, but I don't think that project has been realized.

chronologiker

Deceased
Jun 28, 2017
Country
I am not aware of a special book about clock cases by Peter Wehrle, but his cases are very common.

I know a cuckoo that is almost identical to yours: The case is by Peter Wehrle, the movement is made by the BF-foundry Burger Söhne. This cuckoo is marked with the name of the trading company Fürderer, Jägler & Cie. in Lenzkirch. Fürderer, Jägler & Cie. sold lots of clocks especially to France.

Best regards!

Chronologiker

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The eye moving parts are crudely made replacements I think. I wonder if they even work as they are now?

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
The eye moving parts are crudely made replacements I think. I wonder if they even work as they are now?
Are you referring only to the linkage? The other parts (eyes and holders for the eyes) look old and original. I suspect the linkage always looked crudely made--it's just a bent wire.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, the linkage ;)

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
Justin Miller, in his excellent book "Rare and Unusual Black Forest Clocks," has chapters on cuckoos and moving eye clocks. There are a few pictures of clocks with both features, though not exactly like yours, and they have wood movements. A few cuckoo clocks without moving eyes and in case styles similar to yours are illustrated and given dates of around 1860. He was going to write a book only on Black Forest cuckoo clocks, but I don't think that project has been realized.
I bought the book to try find out what the correct pendulum & weights looks like, but the clocks most similar don't show either. Any chance someone has one with the correct pendulum and weights that you could post?

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Here is a picture from the Country Life International Dictionary of Clocks. It is a typical pendulum for this type of clock, with a steel wire rod, sometimes with a fake compensation grid of brass wire. In this case the pendulum is shaped, but they can also be round. Overall length about 9-10 inches, I think.They are very light weight. The weights are typically brass cylinders filled with lead. Maybe a couple of pounds each, but you'd have to experiment. You can sometimes find old ones on line, or you can make them out of brass tubing.

Cuckoo.jpg

Last edited:

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
Hi Macaw. Great. Could you send me photos of the wiring that moves the eyes now that you have restored yours? Much appreciated. Peter.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
comming lately to this thread I do find the "verge" or recoil anchor more interesting than other details of the mvmt. I´ve never seen such an anchor that looks like a woodpecker:That should give some clue as to the maker I hope.
Burkhard

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
Hi Macaw. Great. Could you send me photos of the wiring that moves the eyes now that you have restored yours? Much appreciated. Peter.
Peter, I didn't change the linkage because it works as it is, and the wires are light weight. Let me know if you need pics of how they're connected.

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
Thanks Macaw, would appreciate photo and especially the diameter and thickness of eye. Are eyes made from wood?

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
Thanks macaw. And can you measure the length, height and thickness of the eyes? Are they round or oval? Appreciate your help.

Peter W

NAWCC Fellow
Nov 23, 2017
Country
With great appreciation for your time and efforts photographing and measuring Macaw. Now to make some eye balls!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m4rduk
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-