• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Help Movement with a count wheel won't stop striking..

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hello Peoples...I'm tinkering with a wall clock and it has a movement by S. LA ROSA...It has open mainsprings and a count wheel. I had cleaned the clock and had it set to go. But while watching it one night, at the midnight hour, the strike train mainspring let loose. I decided to change both main springs. I put the clock back together and haven't even been able to get it into the case, because as soon as I released power to the springs, the clock just strikes, and strikes and strikes and strikes....There doesn't seem to be much action on the count wheel lever, it seems to be hitting something it shouldn't be , it's not locking up ..? I dunno..?.?.?
I attached a video, but I don't know if it'll help, but it's here...Any Helpful hints, tips, or suggestions are welcome...

Bob

Marc Hildebrant

Sep 2, 2009
West Dennis, Ma.
Country
Region
When I was trying to set up the strike parts, I first stopped the time operation and checked the position of the parts as the metal "count" was in a deep slot of the count wheel. The info in the Count Wheel Basics should help to see if the gears have everything in the right spot.

Marc

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Vernon, I checked out the link from Bangster AND it addresses that exact issue . How cool is that?? This Forum is the Bomb! I will follow those directions tomorrow sometime, and hopefully come up with a win...It wouldn't be the first time Bangter's links have helped me out...Thanks for jumpin' in

Bob

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Well, "Bangsters article worked out perfectly .Although it took me several times as I must have inadvertently bent the levers one way or another during the original assemble...It took many manipulations...many incremental manipulations, to get everything just right. AND that was AFTER I finally got all the levers and wheels lined up perfectly....JEESH...But yes that was the issue. So thanks Vernon, 'Bugsey, Bangster and all for your help..
AS ALWAYS, I am grateful for the expertise and time afforded me by the peoples in this Forum!!!

Best Regards,
Bob

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
JEESH!! SO, Now that I have everything synced/coordintaed..The cam on the center arbor won't push the activating lever far enough to trip the warning lever... Can the warning lever be bent toward the activating lever to fix this problem:???: Holy "too many things happening at once Batman"
for my little brain to comprehend. Can anyone get me past this last hurdle:???: PLEASE!! (he said with a tear in his eye)...

Bob

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can bend the lower lever down a little. That produces a higher lift while leaving the upper levers in their proper positions....assuming that they haven't been messed with :)