movement removal

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I am wondering what kind of tool is necessary to remove the movement from a Longines Admiral wristwatch. It states on the back of the case use wrench 1260. The bezel popped off but nothing else came off. The back of the case is solid so this movement must come out through the front. Wonder what a wrench 1260 looks like and does it unscrew the area under the crystal? Can anyone help. Pictures enclosed. 75685.jpg 75686.jpg 75687.jpg 75688.jpg

MFRC1956

Dec 9, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Country
Region
Richiec, I have seen those at work, I don´t know why it says "Use wrench 1260" because it is a monocoque case. You simply blow out the crystal with a pump in the case tube and then the movement can be removed. Don´t pry or fiddle with the crystal from the outside unless you plan to replace the crystal! The case is also easily damaged when doing otherwise than pumping. :)
I wonder if the people at Longines think a wrench is a pump?!

Michael

Last edited:

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
In the absence of a pump, can I use my garage compressor with a blow gun carefully? It develops about 120 psi. How much pressure is needed to blow the crystal off, I can probably adjust the setting on the compressor. I guess you need a crystal press to put the crystal back on, huh? I only have $5 in the watch. Thanks for the prompt response before I really broke it.

whizzer

Mar 18, 2008
Just couldn't hold my tongue here.
A 1260 Longines wrench is a device to compress the crystal enough to remove it from the case. A crystal lift is usually used now.
The correct method is to remove the crystal, then rotate the crown until the split stem is in position so you can tilt the movement to separate the stem and remove the movement from the case.
Snapping apart the split stem to remove it and using a pump to blow out the crystal will result in damage to the female end of the stem. Sometimes to the point the stem will not stay together.
I'm no expert but in 1968 my wife gave me an Ultrachron in a one piece case. In 1973 when I returned it to the "authorized dealer" for service the "watchmaker" apparently used the snap apart method. A few days later the stem came out. A few days after having the "watchmaker" replace it it fell out while I was wearing the watch and was lost.
To make a long story shorter, after 3 or 4 attempts to fix the problem the watch was returned to me with a generic crown, the stem still coming out, the second hand dragging on the minute hand and glue around the crystal. In disgust I placed it in a drawer where it has been until recently.
Someday I hope to locate an original crown and two piece stem and have someone experienced in the proper servicing of Ultrachrons COA it.

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Yep---the tool in question is a wrench indeed!

Doug has shown a photo of the wrench by Longines ---they can also be found with several other watch company names on them.

They are a crystal lift of sorts-- but-- without the fingers or points. The wrench shown compresses the crystal all around and not just at the finger points like a modern crystal lift.

And "THAT" is how you remove the movement on a Longines "Admiral" watch---according to the instruction/recommendation on the case!

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. Thanks for the advice and input, now to find one of those wrenches at a reasonable price. Just a note, the stem is missing, or at least half of it, dunno if parts are available, but for next to nothing I will experiment.

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
I think I have a spare Longines branded one-please pm or e-mail if interested.

MFRC1956

Dec 9, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Country
Region
Oh yeah, they do use a tool at Longines, when they put the crystal back on!
I asked one of the guys at the Swatch Group and they use a pump to open it in the first place, in the first place they remove the outer part of the stem first.
It is not the Apollo 13 so it won´t fly up in the ceiling, the crystal just pops up a tiny bit and then you remove it but as always there are a lot of very good watchmakers here and they always know better than the guys that works with these things every day, right?!

Keep up the good work, watchmakers.

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
It has always been my understanding that with "ANY" two piece stem---to remove the movement---the outer part of the stem is removed first!

Nothing new there.
-> posts merged by system <-
burnz;505006 said:
It has always been my understanding that with "ANY" two piece stem---to remove the movement---the outer part of the stem is removed first!

Nothing new there.[

/QUOTE] but as always there are a "lot of very good watchmakers here" and they always know better than the guys that works with these things every day, right?!

I was under the impression that a "lot of good watchmakers"--are the ones that work with these things everyday--as well as a multitude of other brands.

whizzer

Mar 18, 2008
If you have a Google account go to
http://montresuisses.blogspot.com/

Several articles on Longines Ultrachron including how to remove movement from one piece case.
I would suspect that Swatch Group service centers use "quick and easy" and "down and dirty" methods to speed up production.

whizzer

Mar 18, 2008
I had the blog bookmarked, but now I can't get in either.
Should have saved the scans of oiling chart, movement removal and other goodies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlfuller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre