• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Clock Movement Plates Needed For Practice

Vint

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
Region
I would like to buy used clock movement plates for the purpose of teaching myself how to install bushings. I have been told that some folks having a “bone pile” may be willing to sell such items. I’ve tried the route of eBay in terms of auctioning but haven’t been successful. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I have purchased the necessary reamers and bushings and have enough knowledge to be dangerous,lol!
Thank you.

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
What type of plates? I've got several laying around. I've got a Gilbert visible escape that I am giving up on that you can have. Too many clocks and not enough patients.

Vint

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
Region
What type of plates? I've got several laying around. I've got a Gilbert visible escape that I am giving up on that you can have. Too many clocks and not enough patients.
Thanks Carl. I will take whatever you want to contribute in my pursuit of learning to bush worn pivot holes. You are kind to do this for me.

Vint

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
Region
E mail me your address (bergquistcarl50@gmail.com) and I will put a "Care Package" together. I will include some plates and the Gilbert. The Gilbert is really going to be a bushing challenge. I will include all the pieces for the Gilbert just in case you get curious.
Good morning. I’m excited to see the Gilbert movement as I’ve not seen one before. From photos it appears to resemble the Ingraham movement? My address is 444 10th street, Del Mar,
CA 92014. Any advice for me as to size bushings and bushing in general? I usually buy my supplies from Timesavers. Their chart is a little confusing. As I’m a beginner do you recommend a “bushing kit” in terms of bushings I should keep on hand? I read somewhere that the plates (thickness) for American clocks are usually 1.9 mm.....is this true?
Thanks again Carl and if I can pay you for any of the costs incurred please let me know.

Vint

Carl Bergquist

Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
I have not bought bushings in many years so the prices I see now are much higher. I did buy a few of the assortments that were for American clocks and they have served me well. I use the number II and III reamers mostly. Since you are a beginner the Gilbert main body bushings will be ok for you to accomplish but the escape wheel and verge front bushings (as you will see) are another story. I am sending several plates that you can fill with holes, but you really need to fit gears between your new bushings and see how they spin and how the end shake is and how they mesh with adjoining gears. I am going to try to squeeze a complete movement in the box for you to practice on. The Gilbert will need to wait, but it is an interesting beast.

Vint

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
Region
I have not bought bushings in many years so the prices I see now are much higher. I did buy a few of the assortments that were for American clocks and they have served me well. I use the number II and III reamers mostly. Since you are a beginner the Gilbert main body bushings will be ok for you to accomplish but the escape wheel and verge front bushings (as you will see) are another story. I am sending several plates that you can fill with holes, but you really need to fit gears between your new bushings and see how they spin and how the end shake is and how they mesh with adjoining gears. I am going to try to squeeze a complete movement in the box for you to practice on. The Gilbert will need to wait, but it is an interesting beast.
Carl I can’t thank you enough.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReyes11
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.