Movement kits & suppliers

DianneB

Feb 27, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Country
Region
I am looking for a grandfather size movement kit with Westminster chimes that includes all the working parts (movement, weights, pendulum, moon dial, hands, etc.) for a new custom clock and looking for a seller with good prices and reputation. It doesn't have to be new (the movement, not the seller :rolleyes: ). Price IS important.

I have an older Urgos movement but by the time I add all the other bits to make a working timepiece the cost is on par with a new movement.

What do ya'll recommend?

Dianne

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Dianne. I don't think you will find anything particularly cheap, but Murray Clock Craft sells kits for GF clocks. www.murrayclock.com
Have you considered using an older (read, better quality) movement?
Patience on ebay might reward you with what you need, as long as you know what you're doing, and what you need.

Rob P.

Dec 19, 2011
California
Country
Region
I think that what Harold is saying is that the new movement won't be as good as an older movement (which you have) so if the price is the same, go with the older movement.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I think that what Harold is saying is that the new movement won't be as good as an older movement (which you have) so if the price is the same, go with the older movement.
Actually, what I was thinking is that a movement from pre WW11 has much better quality than anything produced in the 1970's and beyond, but not knowing the vintage of Dianne's Urgos, I'm only assuming it's a newer one, post WW11.
Dianne, I often see packages like you are looking for at NAWCC chapter marts and regionals for pretty reasonable prices.

DianneB

Feb 27, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks guys - I understand what you mean about quality.

The movement I have coming is a UW 32/3 presumed to be from the 1960s.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit