Movement ID Please

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by viclip, May 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Canadian jewellers had a penchant for using Swiss movements in their private label offerings.

F.H. Nettleton who operated in the Collingwood area of the Province of Ontario in the first quarter of the last century as a jeweller/optician, appears to have followed suit. The 16-size American-style case bears the inscription date of 1914 in reference to some curling event.

Can someone identify the 17j stem wind/pendant set movement, serial number 205115 for me?

Nettleton Dial.jpg Nettleton Mvt.jpg

Nettleton Inscript.jpg Nettleton CaseInfo.jpg

PapaLouies and Rick Hufnagel like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Wild guess is Omega?

Rob

3. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    That was my initial hunch too but I was unable to match it with any 16s/43mm/19''' Omega/Regina known to me.

4. Warwian

Warwian Registered User

Nov 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
  5. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Warwian after reviewing the sheet which you provided, I believe that I have a 20''' Orion as depicted at the lower right of your attachment.

Upon measuring the dial of my watch I got some 45 mm which is 18-size. I had blithely accepted the seller's description that the watch was 16-size without double-checking & I didn't even notice the discrepancy!

Could you do me a favour & advise as to the caliber & reference of the watch pictured at the lower right? I can't make out that information from the copy of the document which you attached.

Thanks Warwian!

6. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    regards enrico

orion.jpg IMG_2809.JPG

7. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks a million for this Enrico!

Assuming that my movement was made around 1914 in keeping with the inscription on the back of the rear cover, then it would have been manufactured by Brandt & Hofmann. Orion Watch Co. apparently subsumed B&H in 1919. There are a couple of nice shots of B&H movements made for Alpina on the page at the following link:

http://www.chronoguide-taschenuhren.com/archiva.htm

Those Alpina movements are quite similar to mine. The use of 3 screws to hold down the staff's upper cap jewel seems a bit unusual.

Although my watch is running & kept quite good time overnight, I did notice that the upper center wheel jewel is cracked. I hope that my watchmaker can find a replacement.

Thanks again ...

PapaLouies likes this.
  8. PapaLouies

PapaLouies Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Hi Vic, The balance cap jewel mounted on top with 3-screws is not typical of Swiss practice.
    Vics OF 205115.jpg
    I've seen another watch with this cap jewel design but can't remember the maker.
    Regards, PL

viclip likes this.
  9. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the business started by Ferdinand Bachschmid in 1876, in 1896 it was taken over by Brandt & Hoffman and registered the Orion brand.
    regards enrico

viclip likes this.
  10. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi PL.

Apparently Brandt & Hofmann (Orion) supplied movements for a number of well-known manufacturers in addition to Alpina, such as Vacheron Constantin. Some discussion is found in the following NAWCC thread from 2011 respecting B&H (although the private label watch there under consideration used the typical screw pair for retaining the top end stone):

Another Henry Birks & Sons Watch

B&H (Orion) seems to have been well-known back in the day yet has fallen into oblivion for some reason.