Movement ID Please & Setting Problem

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by viclip, Sep 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This wristwatch arrived recently, the movement is marked Swiss 15j with 3 adjustments but otherwise I don't see any manufacturer's identification. Does anyone know what is is?

Victor StretchedV Mvt.jpg Victor StretchedV Dial.jpg

Also, after it arrived I was able to set the hands for about 1/3 of the dial distance but noticed that the setting mechanism seemed quite stiff. Then the mechanism simply jammed up before I could finish setting the hands & now I cannot set the watch in either direction. What could that be all about?

Thanks for any help, regards ...

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    It is probably quite dry and needs service. Unlubed cannon pinions can really weld themselves into place.

viclip and Paul Raposo like this.
  3. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Chris, I hope that's all that's at play here.

Initially the movement wasn't running except for brief spurts when shaken. I see that now the watch is running continuously so I guess I've knocked it about sufficiently to make it a reliable runner :p . While the stem does not allow setting, the hands have been moving in response to the operating movement.

In terms of ID'ing this movement, I should have advised the board that its size is some 10.5 lignes.

4. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I hope so too! It will be easier to identify from the front side with the dial off...

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Looks like an AS 984.

6. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Appears to be a dead-ringer for a "Derby" Calibre #33 or #37 in our opinion:) It will be interesting to see under the dial as Chris has suggested.

Erin

viclip likes this.
  7. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Erin, I found a picture of the Derby 33 on-line which sure looks like mine, considering the partially exposed great wheel.

I can't seem to locate a picture of the Derby 37, can you direct me ... thanks!

8. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My movement is virtually identical to the Derby 33 shown at the link below:

Derby 33

However there's no shock protection on mine so perhaps it's another Derby caliber?

9. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hey roughbarked, thanks for your input. The AS 984 is close but it looks like I've got a non-shock protected Derby 33.

10. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Haven't got one on line, it is in a catalogue identification manual that Dad has. Slightly difference size, plate cut for the AS 984 is different.

11. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    To our knowledge the Calibre 37 is a 11 1/4 lignes but with the identical plate set up by the looks:)

viclip likes this.
  12. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Since my movement is 10.5''' then the Derby 37 is out of contention.

It would thus appear that I've got a non-shock protected version of the Derby 33.

I'm highly confident that we've nailed my movement down.

Clumsy bleary-eyed oaf that I am, it's better that I refrain from removing the dial lest I break &/or lose something ~ anything much smaller than a 12s. pocket watch is at risk in my paws.

Thanks all, especially Erin ... oh & one more question ... these Derby movements don't seem to be all that common, can anyone advise of a watch brand known to house the Derby 33? I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea to have a parts movement kicking around in case my watchmaker finds something awry during the servicing of my latest acquisition.

13. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Can not tell you what brand uses these movements but CousinsUk watch parts carry heaps of spares for them to our knowledge:)

viclip likes this.
  14. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Good to know, continued thanks!