Movement ID needed

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Rob P., Nov 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's an orphan Rolex, unknown vintage but probably 20's or 30's, that I got a few years ago. I checked Dr. Ranfft's site and can't find a match. (But he doesn't have everything.)

21.3mm diameter which makes it 9 1/2 lignes. Signed Rolex twice.

Anyone have any ideas? I need a winding stem for it.

Unknown Rolex movement.jpg

2. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Rob, this has the look of a ‘Aegler’ (Rebberg) movement. Not sure of the calibre though.

3. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree it looks like a later Rebberg/Aegler movement but there's nothing I can find on Ranfft's site. I've looked through all the "regular" makers of the Rolex movements - AS, Gruen, FHF, etc - and can't find any movements that match this one.

I double checked the size this morning and it's .839" or 21.3mm but it has a "flat spot" in one area that measures 21.1mm.. So, the diameter is either 21.1mm or 21.3mm ;) 21.3 = 9.44 lignes.

I'm thinking I'm going to be stuck doing a "Ctrl F" for 9.5" on all 217 pages, one page at a time, if no one can ID the blasted thing.

4. Barney Green

Barney Green Registered User

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is an Aegler movement for sure. Most likely a later evolution of this basic design which Aegler applíed design protection for in 1909:

upload_2019-11-3_17-3-15.png

Not a 100% match but at that time Aegler just sent in one drawing to protect a basic design which was scaled. The pictured movement might be the 8 3/4 ligne variant or an earlier version of the same you showed.
    It defitinely had been available in 9 3/4 ligne. A Gruen caliber 812 should be at least very similar, but without seing the dial side hard to tell if it is the same evolutionary level.

So, go for 9 /4 ligne, not for 9 1/2. although also others say it would be 9.5 ligne:
    Identifizierte Uhrwerke, die weder bei Ranfft, Lorenz noch im Watch-Wiki zu finden sind
    Look for post 535 from August 27th, 2017 in this thread. German forum unfortunately. And yes, Ranfft does not have that movement.

Barney

5. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dial side of the movement. It's marked Rebberg Depose, which I overlooked earlier, so it's definitely Rebberg. (sorry about fuzzy, I'm really shaky today. Even with bracing the camera, it's still fuzzy because of my tremors.)

Rebberg dial side.jpg

The link to the German site shows a 10 1/2" movement not a 9 1/2" even though the post says 9 1/2". I've seen several of those but the "point" on the train bridge is different than the one I have (though basically the same shape). I've found a few exact matches on the internet but none of them give any details on caliber.

I need a stem for it.

6. Barney Green

Barney Green Registered User

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although the dial side looks different I'd probably give a Gruen caliber 812 stem a try. It looks like the closest match, caliber 813 would have the same stem. But also very hard to get anyway and worst case it woul dnot fit...