Movement from Swedish Mora clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Hudson, Aug 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Hudson, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    I am seeking information regarding a clock movement that I have. I have only the movement, face, and hands. No one in my local clock group has ever seen a movement like this. I bought it because I thought it is interesting. I was told that it came out of a Swedish tall case Mora clock. It doesn’t look anything like my other Mora clock movements, but the size of the movement, dial, and calculated BPH are similar to other Mora clock movements I have.

The face is 11 ¾” in diameter. All the threaded parts are very crudely made and most will only fit one hole. The winding drum spools are wood. The escape wheel has 36 teeth and the BPH is 3780.
    It has a recoil escapement with very curved faces on the anchor.

It has a disc that indicates the day of week in Swedish, and also has a hand that indicates the day of the month on the dial. The worm driven vertical fly governor is unique and works great.

There are no markings on the movement or dial face regarding maker.

I’m wondering if it was married to the Mora clock. I have repaired the movement and have it running on my test stand with spare Mora clock pendulum and weights. It runs well keeping a steady BPH and turning over the day and date in the middle of the night.

Any ideas about the maker?

IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1420.JPG IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1431.JPG IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1428.JPG IMG_1429.JPG

2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That movement is lovely. I wish I had it for our frksdhal.

Generally, it is my experience that very few Swedish movements or cabinets are signed. About the best you can hope for is to associate a cabinet to a time period and or a region. Obviously this doesn’t apply here.

The dial seems perhaps a reproduction? Somehow it seems too....”tidy” for a 160 yr old clock. Most moras have hand painted dials in my experience.

3. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree that the dial is at least repainted. You mention your frksdhal. Could that also be spelled "Fiksdal" as in the place in Norway. Norwegian clocks can be similar to Swedish clocks I think. I would like to find a case for my movement.

4. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 brian fisher, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    I think it is swedish....

20171204_100919.jpg

That movement seems to have plenty of details that make it mora style. I think it was probably made pretty close to the way it is presently. Does it strike a going or bell?

I saw a swedish movement once that when it struck a bell, there were 2 rams(as in big horn sheep) that butted heads on the dial in the same place as your day of week dial is located. There are a few outliers laying around. It appears to me you found one of them.

5. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe that it should strike on a bell from the position and material of the hammer. I don't have the bell and don't know how it was mounted, but I will figure something out. I do have a much newer movement from maybe around 1970ish that strikes on a bell. That movement is marked "Westerstrands, Made in Sweden" and "49797 P885" . My other/older Mora clock movements have steel plates and strike bim bam style on two bells.

Is the clock in your post your clock? That is a very nice looking one.

6. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is our clock. We spent months looking before we decided on that one. It came from a pretty high end antique store in denver. Basically, with shipping, we probably have more invested than could ever hope to recoupe. My wife loves it. That what matters most to me.

This one is dated inside the door 1839. There are some other initials painted in there but I can't recollect them and I am out of state atm.

The movement is very unique in that the plates are crudely hand made with a single cast bell. after service, it keeps time to within a minute a week.

The movement is dated something like 1854, and the pendulum is too short for the cabinet window, so obviously it is a marriage. I have been slowly looking for something that is more correct.

If you decide to sell......lol........

7. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All the MORA clocks I'v seen have had steel plate movements.
    But I'v only seen a dozen or so.
    Nice clock and movement

8. Colin Drake

Colin Drake Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Clock maker, Point Defiance Clock Shop.
    Tacoma, Wa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you look at the numbers in the date chapter ring, the color of the paint around each number seems just the slightest bit off. Almost as if someone decided they didn't like the font and painted over them. At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, but looking at my monitor from an angle made the contrast more apparent. The new numbers, I think, are almost certainly stamped (Times New Roman?)
    The dots look hand painted, as well as the rest of the dial. No telling if it's the original hand painting from just the picture though. You could probably tell by looking at the edges of the dial, where the paint ends. if you see a flecks in a slightly different hue, that can sometimes tell you.

A great way to tell the age of a paint is by licking it. If it tastes sweet, that means it is an older paint. And that it's full of lead.
    You wouldn't happen to have one of those fancy painting x-ray machines handy, would you?

9. Colin Drake

Colin Drake Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Clock maker, Point Defiance Clock Shop.
    Tacoma, Wa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have also only seen them with steel plates, but considering the use of a worm drive (much quieter than a hand filed fly pinion), I would say they were probably trying to elbow their way into a higher price bracket.

10. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, the other Mora clock movements I have are made quite crudely had have the steel plates like you have seen.

11. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You have a keen eye. I took a close look at the date chapter ring and it is just like you say. There is a different shade of paint around each number. Such secrets this thing has.