Movement and Pendulum

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Lockland, Nov 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, can you please help look at the photos and advise me if the pendulum is original to the clock movement? The seller says they are original but I see the number on the movement and the pendulum do not match. Thank you...

2A752FB9-C1E7-4CA0-BF43-163782A63B4E.jpeg 2A5CD92C-089E-4CDE-914C-4CCEE28EAE37.jpeg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    it's an appropriate looking pendulum, but the crutch rod shows signs of lots of adjustments... unless you moved the bob down? it might have been on a similar movement and adjusted when put in place... don't think it matters that much (unless the clock itself is exceptional and would be significantly more valuable all original). it wouldn't bother me (subjective opinion!)

3. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. So the pendulum is not original to the movement then. It’s okay for me too, I just want to check with others to make sure that I understand it right.

4. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i didn't say that... it looks correct, but there's a shiny spot on the shaft near the top of the bob that makes it look like the bob has been lowered... more than just a bit. maybe that's you, maybe that's someone else, maybe it's not original... no way to tell, really.

5. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Oh sorry :) It has been like that since I first saw it, so it should be the seller who adjusted it to make the clock works. But in this case, I can’t use the method of matching the printed number on both the pendulum and movement to check their originality? I was thinking that it is the only way...

6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ok, i now think non-original. why? because the pendulum bob says 5 5 and the back of the movement says 7 2.

read this article for more: http://www.abouttime-clockmaking.com/downloads/French%20Clock%20Beat%20Rates2.pdf

the ultimate test, though, is whether the clock keeps accurate time with the pendulum you have. if yes, i wouldn't worry about it. if no, you probably need a different one.

p.s.: i ain't no expert, and i'm not sure why those with more info are hanging me out to dry! :cool:

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting article that you linked.

Based on that article (Table 4), if I am interpreting it correctly, the OP's pendulum should have a length of 194 mm or 7.638 inches.

If the measurements match to the above, then the pendulum is correct (note that I did not say original) for his movement. This also implies that the "5 5" on the bob was not meant to equate to the "7 2" on the movement.

On the other hand, if the OP's pendulum length is 146.36 mm or 5.773 inches then it is not correct for the movement and is not original to the movement.

Regards.

8. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I may be missing something, however the movement does not have a number stamped on it, Look at the edge of the bezel as there could be a number stamped on that. As pointed out though the pendulum has a length stamped on it as does the clock movement and these being different says to me they did not start life together, however it looks to be about the same age of the clock movement. Having a pendulum different to the clock number is no big deal on lower end of the market as it is more the norm they are different than the same. Over the 130+ years the clock has moved many times and you have to take out the pendulum to move it, then it gets lost and you find another, just happens that way it seems.

9. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    2A5CD92C-089E-4CDE-914C-4CCEE28EAE37.jpeg

10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The important thing is whether the pendulum is suitable for use on the movement to keep accurate time, as in can it be adjusted to have an effective length of 7 pouces and 2 lignes.

Imo it isn't original to the movement and I've also never come across or seen a French pendulum bob with the length marked on it.

11. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all for your kind reply. They have been extremely helpful in broadening my knowledge about old clocks. In fact, the provided pendulum is keeping the time very well despite it’s not original (also my opinion).