Eureka Move Ballraces

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by colinstone, Jun 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. colinstone

colinstone New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Just started dismantling clock and opened up spindle bearings. One glass has broken edges and no paper gaskets. I guess greaseproof paper would do.
    Ball bearings are OK but I need to move the ball race 180 degrees. But can't work out how to get them out. Light tapping on the back doesn't seem to move them.
    Hoping for any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Brass has greater thermal expansion than steel so maybe some gentle heat would allow you to slip out the race.

There are many Eureka restorations posted on the web and this may be addressed in one of the pictorials.

The glass is available from Carlton Clocks.

Jim

3. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I did look at a couple of Peter J Smith's Eureka restorations on the web and he does show the ball races removed. I thought he had described how he removed them in one of the reports.

They are on the web as "restored_eureka_7502"

I believe he had a business in the UK called Horoligix and was doing Eureka restorations at one time. There are many detailed restorations in pictures of many Eureka clocks, and I find them highly instructional.

Jim

4. Terry Gray

Terry Gray Registered User

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Rye East Sussex United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi i hope by the time you read this you would have been able to remove the outer shell of the ball race,one of my clocks had worn outer shell but was able to reposition it without problem,but i suspect it would have no difference even if i couldn't have,it ran before so there was no reason why it shouldn't carried on running as with yours,i would advise caution in trying to removing them,the casing might be brittle and even slight tapping of the case might result in crack/failure and the chance of getting another is none existent,hot water might expand the case enough, to allow movement,i have heard boiling oil as it holds more heat,Carlton Clocks UK has taken over from Peter Smith,and sell some parts,