Movado Chrono Minute Repeater - PLAESE HELP

IV4Watches

Aug 13, 2022
Country
Hello everybody,

I am in search of the chrono second hand for the Movado Chrono Minute Repeater.
Anyone knows where I can get one?
Appreciate your help! Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 6.39.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 6.40.32 PM.png

Philip Poniz

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2012
Princeton, NJ
If you want us to comment on the watch, you must provide us with meaningful information, such as a photo of the movement, preferably from both sides.

Reactions: tick talk

vanjuxa

Mar 31, 2013
United Kingdom
Country
I believe you can get some antique hands assortment from ebay for example
this looks standard hands to me been used by many reputable and unbranded swiss watches

I am not too sure but it looks pivot is broken ( might be wrong due picture darkness )
if so this will be a problem to re pivot center wheel or to find replacement

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 6.40.32 PM.png

Reactions: Bernhard J.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I believe you can get some antique hands assortment from ebay for example
this looks standard hands to me been used by many reputable and unbranded swiss watches

I am not too sure but it looks pivot is broken ( might be wrong due picture darkness )
if so this will be a problem to re pivot center wheel or to find replacement

View attachment 721807
Unless the hand has a really long reach, there is a pivot tip missing, yes.

Reactions: Bernhard J.

IV4Watches

Aug 13, 2022
Country
Unless the hand has a really long reach, there is a pivot tip missing, yes.
Thank you guys for your help. You are right - that second chrono hand I am looking for does have a really long reach, so there is no issue with the pivot. My only problem is to get that hand. I will try EBAY but not sure if "assortments" will have a hand I am looking for... Any advises on what to look/ask for?

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Your watch has Louis XIV hour and minute hands but I think the chronograph second hand would have been a blued steel hand rather than gold. Here are two of my chronograph repeating watches. Obviously the hand has to be the right length but it also has to have the right pipe to fit onto your arbor. Chronograph hands are a very tight fit on the arbour because they have to be able to withstand the shock of the flyback reset. It might be best to send your watch to a watchmaker who can try various hands rather than wasting your money on hands that do not fit and also the risk of damage occurring whilst fitting the hand.

Chronograph minute repeater:

IMG_9103.jpeg

Chronograph quarter repeater:

IMG_9104.jpeg

Last edited:

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Country
Region
I agree with Stephen that your watch, IV4Watches, should have a plain chronograph hand (I don't recall ever seeing a fancy chronograph hand), but I don't think it has to be blued steel. That would be fine of course, but so would a gold hand. Shown below are the plain chronograph hands on two watches in my collection with Louis XIV of XVI hands. Both of these watches are rattrapantes, which means that they have two chronograph hands, although it may be hard to see one under the other in these photos. The first of this pair of watches has gold chronograph hands.

18k Haas Neveux Minute Repeater Rattrapante

z Haas repeater.jpg

18k C.H. Meylan Rattrapante

z Meylan Rattra with reg 1.jpg

IV4Watches

Aug 13, 2022
Country
I agree with Stephen that your watch, IV4Watches, should have a plain chronograph hand (I don't recall ever seeing a fancy chronograph hand), but I don't think it has to be blued steel. That would be fine of course, but so would a gold hand. Shown below are the plain chronograph hands on two watches in my collection with Louis XIV of XVI hands. Both of these watches are rattrapantes, which means that they have two chronograph hands, although it may be hard to see one under the other in these photos. The first of this pair of watches has gold chronograph hands.

18k Haas Neveux Minute Repeater Rattrapante

View attachment 721931

18k C.H. Meylan Rattrapante

View attachment 721932
That watch did have a blued steel second chono hand. Actually, I am a watchmaker - trying to find a substitute for the hand that unfortunately was misplaced after I fixed the movement. I don't have it in stock and looking for the way(s) to get it. In order for me to measure the pivot/arbour, I would have to completely disassemble this super complicated movement...

dshumans

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2009
That watch did have a blued steel second chono hand. Actually, I am a watchmaker - trying to find a substitute for the hand that unfortunately was misplaced after I fixed the movement. I don't have it in stock and looking for the way(s) to get it. In order for me to measure the pivot/arbour, I would have to completely disassemble this super complicated movement...
I have replaced a number of these, but only by finding or buying a chrono hand that is too long and then making a new socket with a tight fit for the arbor and the right length socket to go deep enough. This requires taking it apart enough to get at the chrono arbor or simply removing the chrono pinion and arbor from the back side if possible. Here is an example

Reactions: tick talk

IV4Watches

Aug 13, 2022
Country
dshumans, I very much appreciate your comments and suggestions. Your experience and professionalism are impressive! I mostly deal with the modern high-grade watches, and when I come across antique timepiece(s), it sometimes becomes a challenging journey for me. Thank you so much for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberbillp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-