Moulinie Aine and Co. of Geneva, Switzerland

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by SimPivot19, Oct 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SimPivot19

SimPivot19 Registered User

Jul 15, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi

I'm interested to know what is known about Moulinie Aine and Co. of Geneva, Switzerland who made watches among other things as I volunteer for a charity in England and they have in their collection an automaton made by this company and I'm doing some research as to its provenance. It is a monkey automaton music box from the 19th century. You can view information about it at the national trust collections website which also holds information on a large number of horological items in their collection. I've included a link for the item below:

Results for “Automaton” at “Attingham Park, Shropshire”

Many thanks

2. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Moulinie L'Aine A' Geneve

3. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I used to own a very good quality quarter repeater made by Moulinie aine & Co of Geneva (the aine means "elder"). I established that he worked from 1828-1852 in Geneva.

The fact that he was making watches of this quality, and that he worked in Geneva (the home of many of the top watchmakers in those days), suggest that he was a amker of some note.

90278 1 Moulinie aine & Co.jpg 90278 2 Moulinie aine & Co.jpg 90278 3 Moulinie aine & Co.jpg 90278 4 Moulinie aine & Co.jpg 90278 5 Moulinie aine & Co.jpg

viclip likes this.
  4. Niall

Niall Registered User

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Amazed at the coincidence as I go to Attingham Park about once every two weeks!! Live about two miles away.

I come across a lot of movements by Moulinie and they are always of higher quality than regular Swiss movements of the time, however I have no knowledge of the man or company.