Moulin Wall Clock?

S Allan

New User
Mar 6, 2022
Country
Just picked up this very unique wall clock looks like a French origin
Has been modified over the years, pretty certain the numerals are more recent additions
The inlay around the boarder is abalone, and the clock face is a stone
be glad of any knowledge to point towards the history here!
Once I get into it I can post more pictures with internals, etc.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-29 at 7.29.24 PM.jpeg

Reactions: PatH

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Yes French, typically known as a Comptoise wall clock or a vineyard clock. Can't say if they are original but the numerals are typical of the type used in these clocks. They were made from the first half of the 19th C into the early 20th C, this one is a later one as indicated by the wavy edges. The movements are either the square version of the pendule de Paris or a flattened version of the Comptoise longcase movement with double striking. Moulin will almost certainly be the retailer.

Reactions: bwclock

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Welcome to the Forums, S Allan, and congratulations on your nice find! We're looking forward to seeing what's "under the hood" when you get the clock.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to provide additional information about your clock. In the meantime, if you enter oeil de boeuf in the search, you'll find a number a threads about these clocks, including other names by which they are commonly known (like vineyard clocks as jmclaugh mentioned).

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

i can only confirm what has been said, and that the two generic terms used to designate this type of clock is « oeil
de boeuf » or « vineyard ». As your clock dates to approximately 1870-1880 it has the spring-driven version of the Morbier/Comtoise movement. Furthermore, the name Moulin is that of the retailer. The manufacturer can not be determined specifically.

As an aside, the dial is alabaster, and I see no reason to believe that the numerals are not original. Why do you think they are not?

Regards.

Reactions: JTD and PatH

S Allan

New User
Mar 6, 2022
Country
So I finally got to this clock and have the movement out. Here are a few pictures.
I had wondered if the numerals were non original as they appeared poorly placed however now I have it apart it appears they spin on the hole they are anchored to, and correcting their position is simple
I can't see any markings on the movement, unless they are under the paint. The frame is metal/steel with brass bushings, needless to say the heaviest movement I have had yet
Thanks for all the helpful info so far!

20221008_120458_HDR.jpg
20221008_120421_HDR.jpg 20221008_120429_HDR.jpg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
So I finally got to this clock and have the movement out. Here are a few pictures.
I had wondered if the numerals were non original as they appeared poorly placed however now I have it apart it appears they spin on the hole they are anchored to, and correcting their position is simple
I can't see any markings on the movement, unless they are under the paint. The frame is metal/steel with brass bushings, needless to say the heaviest movement I have had yet
Thanks for all the helpful info so far!

View attachment 730600
View attachment 730597 View attachment 730599
Yes, your clock has the typical Comtoise-like movement. These are very solid, almost indestructible.

Uhralt

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, your clock has the typical Comtoise-like movement. These are very solid, almost indestructible.

Uhralt
Yes, I agree - and they are quite often unmarked.

Nice clock.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlfuller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre