Standard Electric Motor not working

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Lincolnhill, Dec 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lincolnhill

Lincolnhill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Good evening all,
    The motor is a General Electric model 5SMY20J - 115v - 60 cycles - 1RPM - 16 tooth gear - under power the motor doesn’t rotate at all. Any ideas on a replacement 115v motor?
    Thank you

upload_2019-12-2_17-24-30.jpeg

2. Scot Traffis

Scot Traffis Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    do you have a picture of the motor? It would help me looking through what I have. Scot

3. Lincolnhill

NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Good morning Scot,

Thanks for the reply. Photos of the motor are attached. Appreciate your help.

Michael

35ADABF2-BB70-4930-871E-C8965DEBDBA5.jpeg 07A9573C-74D9-430F-896B-386792AB1218.jpeg

4. Scot Traffis

Scot Traffis Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    went through all my motors and found nothing like yours. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Scot

5. Dan_in_WA

Dan_in_WA Registered User

Dec 21, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Can you check for resistance across the wires? It should be low.

The motor might be repairable, if no replacement is available.

6. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Does the armature rotate freely under finger power? I found with a Synchronome synchronous clock which stopped repeatedly after running for a few hours that the armature bearing was running in clogged oil, sapping the power greatly. Cleaning and re-lubing sorted it.

7. Lincolnhill

NAWCC Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Good morning, based on all the advice (Thank you) we got the motor fully apart, cleaned up a bit and it is now running well. The new issue is that the motor is extremely noisy when placed vertically. When on its back on my workbench it runs quietly. Dare I say silently! There are so few moving parts I’m struggling to determine what is making all the noise.

Perhaps one of the bearings for the armature is worn and the armature is vibrating? I see no wear on any of the delicate tines of the armature so I can’t imagine they are interfering with the magnets.

I don’t see anything else that moves and/or could vibrate to make the ruckus.

Any thoughts?

Michael

8. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Good progress Michael. I would suggest the source of the noise may be excessive end float on the armature. This is indicated by the noise disappearing when the motor is on its back. I assume by this you mean when the armature is vertical to the bench. If the noise re-appears when the armature is parallel to the bench then I would suggest reducing that end float. I am not familiar with your motor, but the Synchronome end float could be adjusted merely by pressing the retaining collar further on to the armature spindle. You may have to use shims depending on design.

9. pianoman

pianoman Registered User

Nov 19, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Michael, were you ever able to get your motor working well? I just acquired a Standard Electric master and may have the very same problem. I have the same motor, and though I know for a fact the works needs a good cleaning and oiling, I'm also seeing the motor intermittently not want to start, or if it does, it will get stuck and hum after 5-10 minutes of running.