Most of photos is missing :(

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by tarant, Sep 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are only empty places or icons ...

2. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can answer only in my threads. Clock repair section disappeared too.
    FireShot Screen Capture #050 - 'NAWCC Message Board' - mb_nawcc_org.jpg

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also experiencing missing photos.

4. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I still see lots of missing images. Some just show a small image icon with a red "X" and some show "View attachment [6-digit #]". The red X is not clickable and clicking on the latter note opens a new tab stating "The requested attachment could not be found". All of these were NAWCC-hosted attachments on the previous board.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #5 Steven Thornberry, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    The change from http to https seems to be involved. The attachments with the numbers have been repaired in other instances. Give me an example in a post and I'll have a look at it.

I have had no luck yet with the X's. Well, I just changed one successfully. Show me one with red X's.

6. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I was able to correct the links using the [THREAD][/THREAD] BB code. I had less luck with the red X's, fixing some, not fixing others. Your post # 4 apparently had too many attachments for me to fix. In Post # 2, the attachments have come out twice, but they are there. I should have copied the thread and worked on the copy. My apologies. I will be gone this sfternoon for some time and can try to work on it later. Perhaps Bill Stuntz can see this and help. This system works differently than vBulletin and as far as attachments is concerned, is no more satisfactory.

8. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's one of mine with just the red X's:
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/gourdin-a-mayet-tower-clock.145230/

9. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
  10. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven I notice that folks are posting MB problems all over the place in various forums. Would be easier for you folks trying to get things fixed up if we posted in one particular area so you don't have to keep searching.

Perhaps an announcement on the home page as to where if you feel that would be helpful.

David

11. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Issues should be posted in this forum. I'll see about an announcement, whatever good it might do.

12. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 tarant, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  13. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #13 Steven Thornberry, Sep 27, 2017
  14. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  15. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #15 Steven Thornberry, Sep 27, 2017
    Don't you mean "hübsch?":rolleyes:

16. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have just found this thread and I am seeking clarification relating to the migration of attachments.

I haven't yet attempted to attach photographs since the migration, as I can see that the attachments on my recent posts are missing. If I look under my profile, 'Your Attachments' shows that I have 4 pages of my earlier attachments migrated, but not my recent ones. Unless I have been uniquely affected, It would appear that the migration imposed a limit on the attachments migrated for each member. This may have been done as a temporary expedient to reduce the migration time and the rest will eventually be migrated.

Please confirm whether this is the case, and further, if the remainder will be migrated in the future, whether it would be better to wait for the migration of the rest of my attachments, before I post any more?

Some clarification would be appreciated.

John

WMello likes this.
  17. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #17 Jerry Treiman, Sep 27, 2017
    This reminds me -- in addition to the issue of bad image and thread links, a lot of diacritical marks have not transferred over properly, such as in the thread I linked to in post #4. Is there a way to universally correct this?

18. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not a web guru, but when we upgraded our vB3 to vB4 software, this sort of thing happened. Seems that a lot of the parentheses, quotes, certainly umlauts, didn't make the transfer. It has to do with the different font packages and how things are translated from one to the other. I seriously doubt there will be a universal fix...could be wrong. About the only way is to go back to the specific threads/titles and manually update them.

Kurt

19. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a fairly well documented technique of backing up a database table into a more universal code set and then restoring it either in the big code set or another one that displays the characters as you need them. I played with it a bit a long time ago on the old transfer, but the problem sort of aged away and I got busy doing other things.

It is wide spread enough here to deserve a second look. Perhaps someone on XenForo has encountered it and come up with a fix. Most of those developers are in Europe where one needs to be more careful.

For those concerned with information loss, there is none. We still have the old machine alive and well, just not running the software. We also have all the attachments and the old database copied to this machine to use for data mining when we need to do that.

Please keep reporting specific problems. It would be helpful if you just report what you see and not what you think the cause is. I have been working with and developing computers since the 1960's so I know my way around. Now that I am 81, it just takes me a bit longer. :)

20. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  21. scootermcrad

NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom!

I think this is my concern. I've posted so few pictures that it's probably easier for me to fix mine by reattaching. What does concern me is when I go on to the "Clock Construction" forum and find many threads with the same "RED X" icons. One recent thread being WMello's Skeleton Clock build (https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/skeleton-clock.145154/) which has several attachments.

I tend to read the Tower Clock forum more than most, since that's my current focus of education, and I get concerned about losing key pictures here.

Thanks for the efforts with all of this! Very nice looking forum structure and easy to navigate. I think it will further enhance the ability to get educated and share.

22. Phil Burman

Phil Burman Registered User

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
    Hello, The "building-a-pinwheel-skeleton-clock" thread on the Clock Construction forum is one of the most important threads on that forum. All of the many photos and attachments have gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link: Building a Pinwheel Skeleton Clock

This switch to another board format appears to be a complete disaster, I assume a head or two will be rolling.

Regards
    Phil

23. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Regarding Phil's information about missing photos, I will add that I can see my old photos under Attachments in my Profile back to July 2007. Anything previous to that date appears to be gone. Without photos, many of the Clock Construction threads have little value. Are efforts still underway to recover missing attachments & photos?
    Thanks,
    Allan

24. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Allan, do you recall how the images were posted in the thread originally? Although there are many references to photos in the text, there are no broken image references or anything else that would give a clue on how they had been presented.

In exploring further, it appears that all of your photos had been left as uninserted attachments that displayed in the attachment box below the post. For reasons not yet known, these were not imported. The photos are still referenced in the database for each of the posts where they appeared and I am confident that the images themselves have not been lost.

I will ask the consultant who did the importation for us if he can address this. If he cannot, I can figure out how to put them all back.

On threads where the images were inserted in-line in the posts, the references to them are part of the text and did come through the conversion.

I will post more here as soon as I know what the recovery process wil be.

25. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom - I thought I understood the problems with attachments that are no longer attached to posts, but it now seems to me that there could be a number of different problems. Can you please clarify the nature of the problem(s) and where we are with the resolution(s)?

In my case, I find that all of my attachments, whether photographs or pdf files, that I uploaded onto the old forum from April 2017 until the migration, are no longer visible on my posts, neither are they listed under my profile's 'Your Attachments'. Initially, I thought it was because of a buffer problem during the migration, but I have subsequently concluded, partly because of you last post, that it might be related to the point in time when we started to have the problem with both full size photographs and thumbnails being displayed. This was after a last significant change to the old forum software, I believe.

I never used the 'inline' posting method with the old software after the software upgrade, and as far as I can remember I didn't use it before - I simply clicked on 'done'. After the upgrade I never had the problem of the 'double image posting'. I assume this is what you mean by 'left as uninserted attachment'. I am somewhat encouraged by your assurance 'I am confident that the images themselves have not been lost'. If my recollection is correct, and it may not be, this would mean that prior to the software change, all my attachments were inserted and it was in fact the software upgrade that disabled the 'insert' functionality of 'done'.

A clear explanation of the problem, as it is currently understood, would be much appreciated.

John

26. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    In the old forum we would attach the photos to the thread, then
    delete them(because they were large) and when the thread was posted
    you would see the attachments( at the bottom).
    I assume all these posts would have problems.

27. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just checked to see if the problem was related to any of our 3rd party addons and that does not appear to be the case. Either there was an error in the import process or it is a design difference that was not compensated for by the import process.

In either case I was able to generate a query to list all the posts that should have had attachments in them based on the existence of a reference to that post in the attachment identification table.

There are a total of 59,767 such posts and probably about 20,000 threads maybe less. If our consultant cannot help with this, I can put those attachments back using the new style of just embedding them at the end of the post.

As you can read in the table at the bottom of Forum Home, there are 1,122,907 messages (posts) and 135,097 discussions (threads).

28. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom - thank you for your efforts - a supplementary question related to musicguy's post.

Martin went through many of the European forum and deleted the inline large images - could you determine whether the attachments were 'unattached' when the large images were removed, and conversely if they were not removed, were those attachments successfully migrated? If that is the case then the 'inline' functionality introduced with the software upgrade, is surely the source of the problem.

29. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just for a local framework, let me attach a document and an image to this post so we can see the different behavior. Non-image attachments should show up in a box below the post. View attachment 358080 View attachment 358081 compensation_garter_badge.jpg DSCN0856.JPG

Attached Files:

30. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe that the photos in those threads were posted using the "Insert Inline" option so they would show up as part of the message with the relevant text rather than as a group of attachments.

31. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I agree,

I think this is what was happening after we the upgrade to the old software and because I never used the inline button after the change, non of my post change photographs have been migrated, i.e. it seems to me the attachments were not migrated, but the inline photographs may have been,

John

32. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Allan, I can recover all the pictures and I know which posts they belong to. However I do not know their position in each post. I am really confused by that because the old vBulletin database does not have the ATTACH codes in it for those posts even though it has the list of attachments for each post. I had not checked this relationship in the past, but thought that meant they had not been inserted. When we copied the database to this computer we did not make any edits to it.

The new database was built from the previous one and uses the same id codes for the images. If I put them in the posts at the bottom, you , as a moderator can edit the post and move them where they belong. I can extend that privilege to any author who wants to do the same.

I would do more if I could, but I really do not understand a mechanism that could have scrubbed the codes from the old message. It is equivalent to a copy machine editing the text on the paper it is copying.

33. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom - I am having difficulty understanding what you mean.

If I take my first post in this thread

Inverted Double Rollers

It has missing photographs, which in the previous software were shown as thumbnails at the end of the post - are you saying you can recover back to that?

If so, that will be great, in fact it will be brilliant - that is all that is needed - trying to position the photographs within the post is way way less important than having the photographs/attachments thumbnails in the post and therefore available to the reader.

If you can do it easily please add back all my missing attachments as thumbnails at the end of the end of all my posts - in my case that will have restored them back to as they were in the old software.

John

34. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is not a trivial task and I am waiting to hear from one of our expert consultants before doing it. However I have run queries that show me in a database report all the attachments associated with each post. Since this is a weekend and Monday is a U.S. holiday, it will probably be the middle of the coming week before it can be done.

35. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom - thank-you for the update, your efforts are appreciated - no problem waiting a few days to get it right.

John

36. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    If the photos can be recovered and attached to the correct posts, I think that is a satisfactory solution. I know you are very busy with other move-related issues and I think this would be a lower priority task. Thank you for investigating,
    Allan

37. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've posted quite a few photos in the past and I'm seeing a lot of little red x's. I also note that at least one thread I started regarding Geneva/Work Stop patterns has disappeared all together. Much has apparently been lost in the transition. Hope it was worth it.

38. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Once again I do not believe anything has been lost. We still have all the prior computers and software. There were some problems with the import, but they will be resolved.

39. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay. That's good to know. The MB archives were/are a valuable resource.

40. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any hope? I still see hundreds of missing pictures, wrong addressed attachments :(

41. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is not knowing how to accept the passage of a few days time a symptom of a neurohorological disorder? :)

I have a couple of projects that that have tied me up for a few days. I do have the process sketched out and have confirmed that all the components are there and behave as I expected. The remaining issue is that it will require a new piece of software to convert all roughly 30,000 missing attachments (out of 300,000 total attachments.)

42. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    How on earth did this happen??

RM

43. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you be more precise? Are you asking how we got to over 300,000 attachments or are you asking how 10% of them were not transported properly to the new software system?

44. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll never understand what happened, but I'm very pleased to hear it can and will be fixed

45. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Please. Now you're being facetious.

I think you're intelligent enough to know what I was referring to.

I would love to share you're confidence.

And your check is in the mail.

RM

46. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can understand how you might be disappointed, but I spent a bit of time in the XenForo community finding the person generally considered to be the best available for the job and I paid him a reasonable fee of about $1,500 to do the job. It did not go well because our site had run into a problem managing images about a year ago. Those images did not match any pattern that he was familiar with and his tools did not detect the errors.

I do not really understand the cynicism. If you have been following the discussion in all the threads on this topic, you should know that we are making progress figuring out how to put it all back together.

Today I have been working on the tools to replace the nasty red x's with the images that were there on the old site for each of them. This would have been done more quickly except that it is about 20 years since I have spent any significant time writing software.

As you should know, we are all volunteers here and I personally have paid for all of the cost of deploying the new site. There have been many others helping and contributing good work. The NAWCC has contributed the hardware and continues to be responsive to any requests for help.

Perhaps I should not respond to these criticisms, but I feel the negativity disrupts the sense of cooperation we would all do better to share.

PatH and novicetimekeeper like this.
  47. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #47 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    All of your hard work and that of others to deploy the new site and then fix the significant issues it generated is most certainly appreciated. I don't think anyone said anything else.

Essentially your donation of your personal funds to accomplish this was very generous.

RM

48. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom,

I greatly appreciate all the time and effort you and the team devote to maintaining and supporting this invaluable site. However I'm astonished that you've found it neceassary to fund this work yourself; what are the NAWCC thinking of?

Regards,

Graham

49. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Graham, the NAWCC does not have the deep pockets that many think it does. Our membership dues cover only a little more than half of our total budget and the rest has to come from other income sources including donations. We are presently campaigning to build our endowments and other non-dues supported funding so that we can provide all the services our members enjoy without depending on future dues increases among other goals. However, for the entire history of our organization, we have depended mightily on contributions and donations for MANY projects including operations such as this Message Board, funding of the Ward Francillon Time Symposiums, buying specialized storage for our Library, support of our entire IT systems, and so on. Many members step up to fund their favorite projects in amounts that are "not" peanuts, such as the restoration of the street and tower clocks in front of the NAWCC Museum in Columbia, not to mention the mega-hours of volunteer service in support of all our operations. One of Tom's favorite projects for many years has been this quite invaluable site and he has stepped up to support it technically and financially. I commend him and the many others in NAWCC who do like things for the benefit of all of us who use them.

John Hubby
    Past Chair, NAWCC BOD
    <<+>>

50. John Matthews

NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would like to echo and add to Graham's comments.

Without the efforts of the unpaid members who support this site, would it even exist? - to all of you I add my thanks.

As a registered user for two years, this site has been an incredibly asset; the wealth of knowledgeable experts so willing to freely give advice, to those newbies, like myself who rely upon it to keep us on our steep learning path, is unique. Over the summer, I had decided that membership of NAWCC, would be something I should do. Although I hope that I have started to try and help by sharing my own limited experience, I reasoned that I should start to make a financial contribution. Joining NAWCC seemed to be the the best way to ensure that this valuable resource would continue to be maintained and supported.

The events of recent months, have made me question my decision to join. I am not sure that the value worldwide, of this site is fully appreciated by NAWCC. For me and I'm sure others, particularly outside the USA, it is the most visible face of NAWCC. A few moments ago there were 30 members and 120 guests using the site - I suspect a significant portion of the membership of NAWCC first discovered the association, through this site as guests. To learn that a major upgrade of the core software was funded by a dedicated member who appears to already devote much of his time to supporting the site, is, to be frank, difficult to comprehend.

John