• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Morton's patent pocket watch.....Chronometer 614

PJQL

Jun 13, 2011
Cornwall UK
Country
Region
Hi all,

I am currently looking at (and cleaning the case of..) a fusee movement signed Morton's Patent...

numbered 614. The dial is signed Chronometer 614...retailed by Windle of Stockton (Teesside).

Having read a previous thread by John (Matthews), and a touch of research re Morton, I am not entirely sure

if all his movements were as described...ie, did they ALL feature the particular escapement set up

as shown in the illustrations on John's thread, and for which DSC_0072.JPG Morton was known?

The main reason for asking is that mine looks very similar to just a standard table roller set up....

BUT that's just by observation via a loupe. I am extremely reticent to remove the balance and hairspring

assembly, so I can not show any pertinent photographs :-(

The case is hallmarked London 1857 and looks like it belongs.

Any advice would be helpful!

Piers DSC_0075.JPG DSC_0080.JPG DSC_0081.JPG

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
Hi piers, I think I have a couple of "Morton Patent:" movements somewhere; I will see if I can find them. Regards Ray

PJQL

Jun 13, 2011
Cornwall UK
Country
Region
See Cutmore's book, The Pocket Watch Handbook, page 156.Jerry Freedman
Thank you Jerry......where would I find that? Is it an available resource here?

Piers

Hi piers, I think I have a couple of "Morton Patent:" movements somewhere; I will see if I can find them. Regards Ray
Cheers Ray...that's appreciated.

Piers

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Piers,

If the escape wheel has teeth like a chronometer type, (which you should be able to see without dismantling anything), then it is a Morton's Patent. This escapement went through various developments, variously known as 'Morton's Patent', 'Morton's Patent Improved', 'London Patent Chronometer' and finally 'Patent Union Chronometer'. These were all numbered in a single sequence, with the last known being in the 3000s, so 614 is quite early.

Max Cutmore's book is still in print but decent used copies will only cost you a few quid.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: PJQL

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Hi Piers - good purchase ...

Given the serial number of your watch and the engraved 'Mortons Patent' I would expect it to be similar to the serial number 456 in the thread you refer to -

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/early-example-of-mortons-lever-chronometer.143332/

I attach a better picture of the #456 balance now with the unlocking jewel in place. I posted a copy of the corresponding patent is post #21 of the original thread (figs 4 & 5). I think yours is more likely to be as the photograph I attach here than the later type such as the London Patent Chronometer balance I appended beneath the patent.

David Penney's description of serial #515 might help

"Morton's Patent detached escapement, with Massey type-3 roller used for unlocking and safety, mounted next to a steel impulse roller with radial jewel - see pic - the escape wheel with chronometer style teeth, as shown in the Patent."

John

20170914 017.jpg

Last edited:

PJQL

Jun 13, 2011
Cornwall UK
Country
Region
Graham/John/Allan,

Thanks a lot for your assistance and input!

Here are some pictures of the balance assembly....looks standard to me...apart from the apparent split/cut in the top.

Is the escape wheel standard too?

Interestingly, the serial number 614 is scratched in to the underside of the balance cock too.

Piers

DSC_0136.JPG DSC_0138.JPG DSC_0142.JPG DSC_0143.JPG DSC_0139.JPG

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Hi Piers,

Sad. It looks to me as if it has been converted to a single roller. The balance has the two holes in the crossings similar to my later London Patent chronometer, which is not that common. I am not sure, but the balance may have been completely replaced and so I suspect has the lever. Graham will be the best judge.

John

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Piers & John,

I am not sure, but the balance may have been completely replaced and so I suspect has the lever. Graham will be the best judge.
If it started life as a Morton it certainly isn't now; it's a perfectly standard English lever. If it was converted, the lever as well as the roller would have to had to be changed, because the roller would have had a radial impulse jewel and the unlocking jewel at a much smaller radius. The lever fork would not have had horns.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent