• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

More translations

Richard Watkins

NAWCC Fellow
May 2, 2004
Tasmania
www.watkinsr.id.au
Two more translations are on my site
www.watkinsr.id.au
They are:
B. Hillmann "The keyless mechanism, a practical treatise on its design and repair". Well worth reading even if you don't repair watches.
Anon "Some notes on Pierre-Frederic Ingold and the work of E. Haudenschild". This gives some information about Ingold and the tools he designed for watchmaking. Although debatable, he may have had an influence on the early tools used at Waltham.
Both can be downloaded.

Richard Watkins

NAWCC Fellow
May 2, 2004
Tasmania
www.watkinsr.id.au
Two more translations are on my site
www.watkinsr.id.au
They are:
B. Hillmann "The keyless mechanism, a practical treatise on its design and repair". Well worth reading even if you don't repair watches.
Anon "Some notes on Pierre-Frederic Ingold and the work of E. Haudenschild". This gives some information about Ingold and the tools he designed for watchmaking. Although debatable, he may have had an influence on the early tools used at Waltham.
Both can be downloaded.

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
Dear Richard

yoour tireless efforts to provide English language tranbslations from some of the most important historic horological text continue to be much appreceated.

I will print out two copies of each of the tewo new ones and bind them and deposit them in the Library in Columbia.

Fortunat

Fortunat

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
I would like to express my appreciation for the effort you've expended. I read the Hillman artical last night and found it very informative reading. I hadn't considered adjusting winding mechanisms before, but he's right. Some of the mechanisms do operate in a less than ideal manner.

Have you considered passing the translations on to Project Gutenberg? (http://www.promo.net/pg/)
The are acting as a depository and library for books in the public domain or copywritten material that the authors give permission. Seems like a good idea, since most of these documents would be lost (due to there being no monetary incentive for re-publication). From what I read in their guidelines the copyrights on the books you've translated sould be expired (but I don't know about rights on the actual translations).

Richard Watkins

NAWCC Fellow
May 2, 2004
Tasmania
www.watkinsr.id.au
"Have you considered passing the translations on to Project Gutenberg?"

Ages ago I had a look at this, but got the impression they would not be interested.

I think a much better solution to my eventual demise (and that of my site) would be if the NAWCC made such free-of-charge e-documents availabl on its web site.

Actually, I will need one day to find an alternative because I think I have already exceeded my ISP's limit and I have some more delicacies in preparation.

Another point is that I am aware that many people do not used the internet and still rely on printed material. By giving such translations away I make it impossible for anyone to print them because it would inevitably be a loss-making endeavour. I have to hope that some nice people are willing to print copies on demand for friends and acquaintances. Maybe Fortunat could get the NAWCC to consider possible options?

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
Thank you Richard for the Longines text.

Much appreciated by the (english speaking) world horological community.

After a delay of a few months the texts all also become available thrpough the NAWCC lending library as I have taken it upon myself to print two additional copies (over the one for my library) and I then have all 3 hardcover bound by my bookbinder, and I donate two to the Library in Columbia. As much as I value web publishing I feel it is important to also assure traditional libraries have paper copies in hardcover on acidfree paper for long term preservation of the content.

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki
Candidate for Director

VOTE IN THE NAWCC ELECTIONS !
Ballots are due April 1, 2005

Richard Watkins

NAWCC Fellow
May 2, 2004
Tasmania
www.watkinsr.id.au
I want to thank Fortunat for his work. I also much prefer to hold a book in my hands rather than try to read a computer screen, but I could only afford to print two books - Jacques David and "How to make a Verge Watch" (translations from Ferdinand Berthoud and Jacob Auch), and then rather cheaply.

Todd W

Mar 6, 2004
Mr. Watkins;
I have been trying to send you an email At the @watkinsr preceded by books address. It keeps getting kicked back as "no such address". Any ideas?
All The Best
Todd W

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
Watkins Translations available at LARC

I mailed two paper copies of the two new Watkins translations to the Library in Colu,mbia this week (Longines and Ingold texts) and they shoulb be available for lending there within a week or so.

Fortunat Mueller-MAerki
Vice Chair Librabr Committee

2005 Candidate for Director

VOTE !!! Ballot due April 1, remember to put your membership number and State on outside of ballot