ATO More shipping woes

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by MartinM, Aug 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It definitely didn't look like this in the auction listing.
    The glass is an easy fix.
    The coil covers are the worst I've ever seen.
    Anybody have the coil winding specs for this one?
    One real coil set and one dummy)
    IMG_0157[1].JPG

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hope you got some compensation for that! I purchased two of those in the past year. The first lost the coils and the glass and the second just the glass. These just don't ship well.

I can get you the resistance of the coil on mine and you could figure the approximate length of wire needed from that.

Eric

3. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There's actually a label on what's left that says 1450 ohms. I don't know of that's the impulse of sense coil or all together. Is it generally something like 10 to 1? And would the sense be the inner coil?
    This gives me the incentive to install that digital tachometer/counter I bought for my metal lathe.

4. sophiebear0_0

sophiebear0_0 Registered User

Nov 5, 2012
    That really does look to have been badly mistreated.

Unless I am mistaken, I think this ATO model is mechanically switched. It would then just need a single impulse coil.

The ATO coils are normally wound with 42 AWG enamelled copper wire. This has an electrical resistance of 5460 ohms/km. So if you are looking to achieve 1450 ohms, you will need approximately 270 metres. The number of turns will obviously depend upon the bobbin dimensions.

The actual resistance is not overly critical in the mechanically switched ATO's. I have a number and they range between 1200 - 3000 ohms.

The last coil I wound took about 4000 turns to achieve 1250 ohms. The bobbin id was 14 mm and height approximately 8mm.

You may wish to await feedback from others who actually have the same model.

Regards,

Peter

5. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Martin, mine reads 1500 ohms. As Peter pointed out there is only the one coil, the switch, and the battery in the circuit.

Is there a number on the back support plate of your clock?

Eric

6. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, all. That simplifies the whole fix, greatly.
    I was so shocked to see the coil laying out there like that... I didn't think about how this clock differs from the KundOs I've been messing with.

Oh yeah, Eric... The number on the back is 525973.