More on Cowells lathes

towrope

Jun 6, 2002
Please see the other threads on lathes for comments from a gentleman from Cowells. I have seen their literature and they do have many accessories available. I think they are worth considering
There are so few toolmakers left that are affordable; I think the mention of price shows them to be.

towrope

Jun 6, 2002
Please see the other threads on lathes for comments from a gentleman from Cowells. I have seen their literature and they do have many accessories available. I think they are worth considering
There are so few toolmakers left that are affordable; I think the mention of price shows them to be.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I think we should do everything we can to support and encourage those serving the horological market.

However, the reason the number of manufacturer has declined is because of a sharp contraction in the market for these tools. That has resulted in large numbers of very fine tools on the secondary market.

A search of eBay for Schaublin Lathe this morning gives.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1775319752

and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1777214243

There are also significant numbers of Hardinge and South Bend lathes available at very reasonable prices. Second hand Atlas lathes in good condition are also quite useful for hobbiest work where a lead screw is needed.

------------------
Tom McIntyre
NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
Tommy the JOAT's Web

towrope

Jun 6, 2002
I in no way wished to imply that one should only consider one brand or "new" over "old". Each person's needs, abilities and resources are different.
Some folks would rather have the challenge of finding good old tools and bringing them back to life.
Others are interested in using tools that are known to be in good condition when bought and they know that spare parts and accessories are easily and readily available.
There seems to be a plentiful supply of good old tools on Ebay and through many second-hand dealers. Unfortunately, some will find that their well-used prize is also worn out and will be a constant source of frustration unless the person can refurbish the tool and bring it back to usable shape.
If a person is going to need thread- cutting ability then certainly a traditional watchmaking lathe would not be appropriate. The making of parts for clocks would need a capacity for making larger parts than small watchmaker's lathes would have. A lead screw and a powered feed are very nice when turning large pieces or when long cuts are taken. Former industrial tools that are still in good condition are certainly well worth considering.
Anyone considering buying a lathe should weigh carefully his requirements and resources before buying one.
Towrope
Jay Thomas
NAWCC member #0156966

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johntw
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool