More information needed on a Model 299 Gruen Precision 25 Jewels

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by CardCO12, Apr 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CardCO12

CardCO12 New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have all of the original documents/boxes with it. I'm just wondering more about it, since I already tried resetting the day on it but not going too well. I see posts on this forum asking for movements, year, where it was made, etc. and that's what I'd like to know too. I couldn't find too much on this particular model by myself.

Picture of the watch:

[​IMG]

Picture of the label:

[​IMG]

2. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Possibly an ETA 2824-2 movement. Whoever owned the Gruen name in the 1980's sold some models with this movement. I have one in a square case with a window in the back for viewing the movement. Walmart had 4 or 5 different style cases for a few months.

3. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like your watch is the "Ronald" which would be the model name. 25 jewels auto wind or automatic. Most likely Swiss made.

The book you have should show you how to correctly set the day/date feature. Probably a two position stem, first click will change the day or date or both:???:?

I will see if I can find out more and update. A picture of the case back might help and I'm not going to ask for a movement picture unless you want to take the watch to a watchmaker for service, and then a movement picture will be great.

4. CardCO12

CardCO12 New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    The back says stainless steel and metal base. The middle of the back of the case just says a quote about whose it was.

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #5 roughbarked, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Three position stem. One for winding manually the next for fast date change and the next for hand setting.

All day date or date watches with fast change mechanisms can be damaged by using the fast setting mode when the hands are in the positions between 20 and 24 hours. Fast date setting should onnly be done when the hands are in the 12:00 position for safety.

Depending upon the movement fitted. Some roll the day date in the middle position. some pulled past the hand set position and each pull pushed the date another day forward.

http://www.gruenwristwatches.com/new-dating-method-2.php