• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Morbier sounds flat and tinny

Morbier

New User
Nov 30, 2022
Country
We have a Morbier Repeater. I know little about clocks, but my father brought this back from Normandy years ago and we now have the honor. We love the clock, but question if the chime is sounding as it should. From the second photo you can see the coil chime mechanism. The chime is muddy and flat. More of an off-key, "bong." Does anyone know if that is appropriate for this clock?
IMG_2523.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi,
It doesn't chime, but strike :)

The striking should sound good and deep. We cannot see the hammer but there are several ways it shouldn't seem well so it will be better if we can a close-up to where the hammer strikes the gong at rest and take it from there.

The gong might not be tight, the hammer resting on the gong or have a pad on it etc etc ...

Reactions: Robert Gift

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I had a drop octagon clock that sounded really bad, and i tried everything to get it to sound normal. Took a gong off another clock and it was perfect. The actual gong got rusty and it killed the gong itself. I even tried to clean the gong but it made no difference.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Sound could change if there is a split or crack in the wood or if the wood isn't attached solidly.
Vernon

nutmegtinker

Dec 25, 2020
CT
Country
Region
We have a Morbier Repeater. I know little about clocks, but my father brought this back from Normandy years ago and we now have the honor. We love the clock, but question if the chime is sounding as it should. From the second photo you can see the coil chime mechanism. The chime is muddy and flat. More of an off-key, "bong." Does anyone know if that is appropriate for this clock?
View attachment 738493 View attachment 738494

View attachment 738492
I just finished restoring one of these. Mine just hangs on the wall but, has a gong that looks the same as yours. It is attached to its own sound board. Mine also sounded bad and I tweaked it so that it is much better. There are a number of things that can affect the sound. Here are a couple of things to check:
Is the hammer falling freely? Observe the strike cam (star wheel) as it is striking. Is it lifting and releasing fully; or, is the timing off?
Look at the hammer arbor. It has a little paddle mounted on it at a right angle that has a stop which catches it as the hammer drops. There is also a spring on the arbor which rests on this paddle. On mine the spring is adjustable to several positions on that paddle. You might try to adjust that spring and observe the hammer drop. It needs a little "bounce" or it will sound flat.
Observe the hammer as it strikes to see if it landing square on the wire. Mine was slightly off so, I gently bent the wire until it landed square. That made a huge improvement.
Finally, check that the leather wadding on the tip of the hammer is present and not badly worn. That can be readily replaced if necessary.
Basically, you need to observe and get to know how it works and then tweak as necessary. I do not have a broad experience with the Morbier clocks but, I suspect that their gongs never sound very melodious. I am open to be dissuaded from this notion but, in the meantime I have also rigged up a simple sytem to disable the striking temporarily (for visitors).

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
If we could see and hear it striking, we could probably help. Could you make a video on YouTube and post it here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent