• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Morbier Project

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Picked up this one last week. In a mess! Bout to start restoring. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Will

09DEEDDA-B2D8-40C6-B297-7657D1A4F109.jpeg 45DD5713-BE4A-4D71-BBF3-329DEE9B99D5.jpeg 8D98D647-3C69-4B46-815C-77BD84A3C017.jpeg B9A3BCD6-305A-462C-A69C-EDB1CDE13ECC.jpeg 14E826E2-5B9C-40A1-AC04-91488A8C2C2E.jpeg E05C0534-4CD8-42D8-9BF4-E3B0BDB47E2D.jpeg 4F4D2E0D-2B2B-408B-A5B8-F0C870AC5DF4.jpeg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
A case for Evaporust it seems! I'm not sure if the pendulum is original to the clock. Your clock has a crown wheel/verge escapement. These usually came with a "simple" pendulum, which was a large (but not heavy because hollow) brass bob on a foldable rod. The ornate pendulum was usually used on later clocks with an anchor escapement. The crown wheel/verge escapement makes it likely that the clock was made prior to 1860. The pendulum may be too heavy for the movement to drive it because the verge escapement requires a relatively light pendulum.

Uhralt

Reactions: Jmeechie

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Looking at the additional pictures it seems there are extra holes drilled into the front of the cage, possibly to accommodate the brass surrounding of the dial. The style of the brass surround looks younger than the movement. It is quite possible that the brass surround and the pendulum belong together. They are similar in style.

Uhralt

Reactions: Jmeechie

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Looking at the additional pictures it seems there are extra holes drilled into the front of the cage, possibly to accommodate the brass surrounding of the dial. The style of the brass surround looks younger than the movement. It is quite possible that the brass surround and the pendulum belong together. They are similar in style.

Uhralt
Thanks, Uhralt. Yep, there is a flower basket on the pendulum and a fruit bowl on the surround. Similar but not the same. The screws were rusted tight. Got all out but one. It’s soaking in penetrating oil over night. It’s such a mess that everything has to come apart and everything needs attention. Looks like lots of work but…. I’m retired with nothing to do. Ha-Ha!
P.S.
I did not get the weights with the clock. I have several in my bone pile but I don’t know what pound weights to try. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I'm sure it will clean up just fine. The weights of my Comtoise with a similar crown wheel movement are 9.5 and 10 pounds.

Uhralt

dcjens

Aug 3, 2020
Country
Region
I'll follow along on this thread.
I have one similar and curious how you get yours in better shape.

nutmegtinker

Dec 25, 2020
CT
Country
Region
Signature and dates are probably from early repairs of the clock.

Uhralt
Get the book "Morbier Clocks" by Lawrence Seymour or, if you want to really dive in "Comtoise Clocks", Francis Maitzner - Jean Moreau (translated from the French by Seymour). Seymour's book is also available as a series of NAWCC Bulletins.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Get the book "Morbier Clocks" by Lawrence Seymour or, if you want to really dive in "Comtoise Clocks", Francis Maitzner - Jean Moreau (translated from the French by Seymour). Seymour's book is also available as a series of NAWCC Bulletins.
Most of my knowledge comes from the German book "Die Comtoiser Uhr" by Gustav Schmitt.

Uhralt

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Here’s a video of it after cleaning it up, polishing the pivots, etc. it’s running and striking but the strike is only striking once. Most I’ve seen strike on the hour and repeat the strikes about 3 minutes after the hour. Is this one supposed to do that? I don’t have the weights but put 5 lb on the time and 11 on the strike. I’ll get a pair of correct weights somewhere.

Jorge Proença

Apr 12, 2022
Country
Relógio muito estranho!!!!!

escapamento de coroa com suspensão de metal, com pêndulo pesado... isso não vai dar certo.

Para fugas de coro, a suspensão é feita de arame e o pêndulo é feito de lentilhas de 16cm, tripartidas com cerca de 200gr. em peso e 90 cm a 106 cm de comprimento

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Seems as though the double rack isn't falling on the first strike?
That’s what I thought, Mike. I will study it today and try to figure out why.
Relógio muito estranho!!!!!

escapamento de coroa com suspensão de metal, com pêndulo pesado... isso não vai dar certo.

Para fugas de coro, a suspensão é feita de arame e o pêndulo é feito de lentilhas de 16cm, tripartidas com cerca de 200gr. em peso e 90 cm a 106 cm de comprimento
Thanks, Jorge. I will need someone to translate for me to understand your post.

Jorge Proença

Apr 12, 2022
Country
Very strange watch!!!!!

crown exhaust with metal suspension, with heavy pendulum....this is not going to go well.

For crown escapes, the suspension is made of wire and the pendulum is made of 16cm lentil tri-parted with about 200gr. in weight and 90cm to 106cm in length

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Very strange watch!!!!!

crown exhaust with metal suspension, with heavy pendulum....this is not going to go well.

For crown escapes, the suspension is made of wire and the pendulum is made of 16cm lentil tri-parted with about 200gr. in weight and 90cm to 106cm in length
Thanks, Jorge. I put two different weights on it and it is running well.I’m puzzled about the strike not working properly. I am researching the strike train set-up now. If anyone knows a good thread or other source explaining the strike train, I would appreciate it.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
It seems it doesn't strike the half hour as well even though I hear a lever falling (or similar) at the half hour. check why the half hour strike doesn't happen. I assume that will also solve your second strike problem. My gut feeling is that at the hour the first strike isn't fully triggered and what you hear is the second strike.

Uhralt

Reactions: wow

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
It seems it doesn't strike the half hour as well even though I hear a lever falling (or similar) at the half hour. check why the half hour strike doesn't happen. I assume that will also solve your second strike problem. My gut feeling is that at the hour the first strike isn't fully triggered and what you hear is the second strike.

Uhralt
Well, I found the problem. I looked back at my original photos and realized that I have the trip lever in the wrong place. It goes on the right side of the hand shaft and I put it where the two trip points straddle the arbor.DUH! I will post another video of it later. All works well with the heavier weights.

Reactions: Dave T

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Well, I found the problem. I looked back at my original photos and realized that I have the trip lever in the wrong place. It goes on the right side of the hand shaft and I put it where the two trip points straddle the arbor.DUH! I will post another video of it later. All works well with the heavier weights.
Glad you found it! I guess that now you will also have the half hour strike, correct?

Uhralt

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cherrybark
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update