• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Morbier clock help for a newbie!

MountainMama

May 2, 2017
Country
Greetings from Montana! I’m an older newbie who wants to learn! I have this Morbier clock that I took apart, with lots of pictures, cleaned it and put it back together. I’m not sure if I did something wrong but I move the chime wheel by hand and it just keeps going. I’m waiting for the proper weights and suspension spring before I can test it properly. But can I still test it by moving the wheels by hand? I’m sending pictures of how I put it back together. I really want to learn about this beautiful clock. Thank you, Sue

A1D313A5-82F4-41A1-A1A0-5FED03A52C5E.jpeg 628E1532-B0BD-444A-9C0E-86AA884E633B.jpeg 52FE8ED6-7C66-446F-BDE9-F86B1F4136E8.jpeg 561AB112-486B-4DE0-A24D-98EAA9FE111B.jpeg B36613A6-FE8C-4AC1-BA4D-EC8F60F7F2CE.jpeg

MountainMama

May 2, 2017
Country
I ordered some books on Morbiers.....maybe I better read them. I’m not understanding the strike and if I put it together properly...thank you

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I think you have done a beautiful job in cleaning the movement. It looks great! When you let the clock strike manually, the rod that sits on the snail that is attached to the hour arbor (shown in your first picture), should move gradually upwards with each strike. There is a part that looks like a saw blade that is involved in moving the rod upwards. When the rod has been moved up all the way to the top the strike should be stopped. Observe closely what exactly is happening here. Then you can probably tell what needs to be corrected. The books will be helpful if they have diagrams of the strike train and a description of what is happening.

Testing the strike manually doesn't do any harm.

Good luck!
Uhralt

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Remember there isn't a warning on these clocks and also they strike twice within a couple of minutes on the hour.

Nice clock!

MountainMama

May 2, 2017
Country
I think you have done a beautiful job in cleaning the movement. It looks great! When you let the clock strike manually, the rod that sits on the snail that is attached to the hour arbor (shown in your first picture), should move gradually upwards with each strike. There is a part that looks like a saw blade that is involved in moving the rod upwards. When the rod has been moved up all the way to the top the strike should be stopped. Observe closely what exactly is happening here. Then you can probably tell what needs to be corrected. The books will be helpful if they have diagrams of the strike train and a description of what is happening.

Testing the strike manually doesn't do any harm.

Good luck!
Uhralt
Thank you! After the rod is all the way up it doesn’t stop striking as I turn the wheel...I’m not sure why but I will keep watching it...I wonder if something is missing from the clock

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
This video shows some good pictures of the components in the strike sequence. Not sure it's quite the same as yours. This is a crown wheel verge.

MountainMama

May 2, 2017
Country
This video shows some good pictures of the components in the strike sequence. Not sure it's quite the same as yours. This is a crown wheel verge.
Thank you! I have a question about the stop pin wheel...mine has a long pin and a short pin...is the short pin possibly broken off and that’s why I can pull on the barrel rope and it never stops. I’m sending pictures of the stop pin wheel showing the long pin and then the short pin which may be broken

4924C11B-C068-4C53-8C35-548AD33629A3.jpeg 8DB9C006-C5FB-43AA-8B8C-8B072E7B18E8.jpeg

MountainMama

May 2, 2017
Country
Thank you! I have a question about the stop pin wheel...mine has a long pin and a short pin...is the short pin possibly broken off and that’s why I can pull on the barrel rope and it never stops. I’m sending pictures of the stop pin wheel showing the long pin and then the short pin which may be broken

View attachment 672218 View attachment 672219
I think the pin should be resting on the small detent? Or should I reposition the stop pin wheel?

MountainMama

May 2, 2017
Country

View attachment 672218 View attachment 672219
The 2 pins are in different positions. The long pin lifts the flirt bar and the other half pin does nothing

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I can't really see what you're describing in the last two pictures, but if you study post #3 by Uhralt, and look closely at the vertical bar with the teeth in it, you should see it advance until it reaches a stop position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-