• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Morbier Clock Hands

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
I am trying to repair a Morbier Clock for a friend. To get at the mechanism I need to remove the hands and then release the springs. However having undone the screw over the minute hand I cannot easily removes the hand itself - usually the hand pulls off the shaft. I do not want to cause damage to the clock. Do these hands just pull off or is there a different technique? Many thanks
Timbo19 20210602_095527.jpg

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
You can pass tweezers between the two hands and lever.

Or with this if there is resistance :

outil-enlever.jpg

Amicalement GG

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Thanks Agemo I have tried this but it will not move - the shaft on which the minute hand is on is threaded and has two flat sides (not directly opposite each other) and so it would seem it should unscrew but I would need to hold the shaft somehow while trying to unscrew. Later I will try to send an enlarged photo.
Tim

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
GG - here are a couple of close up shots of the minute hand on its shaft.

Minute hand 1.JPG minute hand 2.JPG

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi Tim,
Your hand is mounted very tightly on its axis, you should not hesitate to force, possibly put a little degreaser, at this place there is no thread.
The best solution is to use the tool I indicated.
Your axis seems to have been a little martyred, with a very fine file it is possible to remove the burrs that are in front of the hand hole.
From a distance it is difficult to give advice.

Amicalement GG

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
It looks threaded to me. I would look very closely with magnification. Forcing things is usually a bad idea. Danny

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I would soak it overnight with a very thin oil designed to loosen stuck things. Then try wiggling it on it's arbor. I would not think the hand would be threaded and screw on, but it is certainly possible. You could use needle nose pliers to hold the arbor while you try to unscrew it. If it's not threaded, turning the hand might break it loose anyway. Try to determine whether it comes off CW or CCW if it's threaded. Turn the hand at the base, so you don't bend it.

Reactions: disciple_dan

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
As it's a striking clock I'd be surprised if it was screwed on to the arbor instead of being locked in position somehow. The couple of Morbiers I owned years ago had squared arbors.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Then try wiggling it on it's arbor.
Yeah, in either case, I would say turning it on its arbor is a good try first. Break it free from the arbor will cause less stress on the internal parts when pulling straight up.
I don't know that it's threaded, it just looks like it in the photo.
Have a great day, Danny

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
As it's a striking clock I'd be surprised if it was screwed on to the arbor instead of being locked in position somehow. The couple of Morbiers I owned years ago had squared arbors.
Hi,
Yes it is a rounded square at the top and bottom, and I repeat there are no threads.
The axle has been butchered and that is why it is difficult to remove this hand.
And I repeat, it is sometimes an obligation to force to achieve a result !

Amicalement GG

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Thanks for these comments - I will try all your suggestions carefully and let you know the result
Tim

laumeg

Jan 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
Country
Region
I am trying to repair a Morbier Clock for a friend. To get at the mechanism I need to remove the hands and then release the springs. However having undone the screw over the minute hand I cannot easily removes the hand itself - usually the hand pulls off the shaft. I do not want to cause damage to the clock. Do these hands just pull off or is there a different technique? Many thanks
Timbo19 View attachment 657143
Hi Timbo. This is Laumeg. Long time since I have been on this website or posted on threads, but glad to do so. Problems getting re-loged in but finally succedded. My knowledge is primarily old morbiers, but did have one Carillon.
I no longer have it so need to go by memory. But from memory those hands go on much the same as the older clocks. The problem that you are having is: there is a locking washer behind the top nut and above the minute hand. You report that you have taken the top nut off. The locking washer has a square hole, and the hands shaft is also squared. These are locked together by turning the locking washer in either direction while keeping the hands and shaft stationary. There is a grove in the hands shaft that allows the locking nut to rotate into the grove. these two will not rotate completely, so will get tight as it is turned one way or the other. So be careful as you turn it. It will loosen. as you turn it, just needs to be in the right direction. Make sure to note the potion of the hands so you can put them back just as they are. Morbier clocks are made so that time and strike cannot get out of sinc with each other, so you need to replace them in the exact same positions. Hope this helps. I liked my Carillon clock but just too big and bulky for me. Good luck.. Charles

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Hi Charles -thanks for your trouble in getting back on website and for your comments. I think I understand what I need to do but have taken another close up photo and I see a brass collar/washer with two flat sides - is this the locking washer you are referring to? I see the flat sides of this locking washer are not parallel - what would you recommend as the best tool for moving it? Thanks again Charles. Tim P6060687.JPG

laumeg

Jan 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
Country
Region
Hi timbo. The picture you put up is the locking washer, but looks banged up and ood shape. I would use a general pliers and grab it at the widest points. They are not hard to loosen. go slow and push one direction and then the other, to find which way to go to remove them. With the pliers do not squeeze the bushing, only hard enough to maintain a grip on it. I am giving a new past post dealing with this. It has a very clear picture of what we are talking about; doral96 April 14, 2014, "Removing stuck hand from Morbier clock dial." charles

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi Charles,
Thank you for responding, I quoted you because you were the man for the job.
I just learned something else, I have had many chimes of all brands but I had never encountered this system.
Thanks again!!!

Amicalement GG

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Hello everyone who has contributed to this post. I am feeling rather stupid/silly as I found on closer examination that I was trying to turn the wrong part. The hands have now come off very simply and I have noted the position of the hands for when I re-assemble. I only have one good eye and that makes working on clocks that little bit more difficult! Thanks again for your advice and patience - onwards now to see why the clock will not work apart from a broken pendulum and suspension which I can fairly easily repair/replace.
Tim

laumeg

Jan 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
Country
Region
Hello everyone who has contributed to this post. I am feeling rather stupid/silly as I found on closer examination that I was trying to turn the wrong part. The hands have now come off very simply and I have noted the position of the hands for when I re-assemble. I only have one good eye and that makes working on clocks that little bit more difficult! Thanks again for your advice and patience - onwards now to see why the clock will not work apart from a broken pendulum and suspension which I can fairly easily repair/replace.
Tim
Hi, glad that it all worked out well and thanks for getting in contact with me. Thanks for your vote of confidence. I have about 9 morbier -comtoise clocks and am glad when I can be of help. I just love these clocks, my oldest being about 1740. Thanks again. Charles

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Thanks Charles, GG & the others - all good now for the moment! Tim

Dave Deptford

New User
Jun 20, 2020
Country
How are morbier hands held on? It is not a pin. Doesn't look like a screw on nut. Some sort of locking washer, as mentioned above? An illustration would be helpful, I understand better when I can see what is happening. Dave

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Hi Dave - did reply a little earlier but something went wrong. I am not at home but will answer your question with photo later in the week.

Reactions: Dave Deptford

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Hi Dave - I have had a look at mine again and in the photo above the complete quite large washer unscrews. On a later clock I have there is a large black nut. These are in addition to the small nut that holds the minute hand. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Dave Deptford

Dave Deptford

New User
Jun 20, 2020
Country
Thanks Timbo 19. I was asking for a friend. His nut has mysteriously fallen off so the hands are loose. the opposite to your problem. Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nersinho
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-