Mor. Placsson, London

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Ticktocktime100, Jan 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi all,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a lantern clock which bears the signature of a maker I have not come across before: Mor. Placsson, London. I'd be curious to know if anyone has any information to offer, and if the name is listed in any reference books - Loomes, perhaps? Unfortunately, I can provide no pictures at the moment.

Regards,

JJ

2. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There was one with that name on the big auction site before Christmas. Looked like the dial was made up, with embossed numbering. Given the name was on the dial, it is possible that was made up too.

With lantern clocks, you often have to judge them on what is original to the clock, not what is not..

3. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World has no entries for Placsson, I have tried Mor as well and found nothing

4. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Loomes has a Plaxton, but mid-19th c. I looked in the book a little, but couldn't find anythnig close.

5. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Thanks ever so much for your replies. That confirms my gut feeling, which was that the clock wasn't quite right. What is more, the patina looks a bit too fresh for my taste. I will be passing on this one...

Regards.

6. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The entry for Plaxton has him in Heaton Moor Lancahire
    Nowhere near London