• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

MOP Cast Iron Front Movement ID

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
I picked this timepiece up over the weekend. It was cheap enough and I found it interesting. No label anywhere. Though I may never know who assembled this, does anyone recognize this movement. The escape pivot bracket has an angled base where it's riveted to the plate. Is that a clue to the maker of this movement? Jerome maybe? Thanks in advance.....Chris

IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The movement is by New Haven/Jerome & Co., but I can't help on the maker/retailer of the case itself. It's iron front, right? Owen and Kroeber come to mind, but that's a guess, only. Perhaps someone else recognizes it.

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Yes, it’s an iron front. New Haven would make sense. I didn’t even consider Kroeber. I’ll take a look in Tran’s Kroeber book.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Yes, it’s an iron front. New Haven would make sense. I didn’t even consider Kroeber. I’ll take a look in Tran’s Kroeber book.
FWIW, I did not find it there. The maker could be virtually anyone, perhaps a New York firm, for example.

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
I knew it would be tough to figure out who actually assembled this. I was hoping someone owned one, or have seen one with a label. Would late 1850s seem about right for a date range?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I knew it would be tough to figure out who actually assembled this. I was hoping someone owned one, or have seen one with a label. Would late 1850s seem about right for a date range?
The late 1850’s would not be out of the question, perhaps early 1860’s.

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Interesting that the movement in the early Brewster steeple is basically the same movement that is in mine except how the plates are held together. Did Brewster use Jerome movements?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Interesting that the movement in the early Brewster steeple is basically the same movement that is in mine except how the plates are held together. Did Brewster use Jerome movements?
That would be Brewster & Co., which is not the same as Brewster. Apparently, Brewster & Co. did use New Haven/Jerome & Co. movements, but that does not preclude their using movements by others.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
For those as slow as I, MOP = Mother Of Pearl, not the thing you clean the floor with. ;)

Reactions: clocks4u

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-