Moon Dial Problem

Patrick R

Jun 22, 2006
Say I have a question in regards to a customers grandfather clock. I went over to service this clock and noticed that the moon dial didn't have the normal set up like moon gear on the hour shaft, and it didn't have the normal three gears that would normally be mounted on the back side of the face of the clock.
How ever there is some type of linkage mounted to the back of the face, and the movement, which is a high end Kieninger has been modified. Some one has soldered a pin on the snail gear, which I am sure that Kieninger mfg did not solder that pin on the snail gear.
I do notice that the moon dial teeth are smaller that most moon dials. I assume with the small teeth you would have two pins on the final gear as apposed to just one pin that rotates around once every 24 hours.
Have you ever seen a moon dial that was set up with linkage like on the one in the pitchers I have sent? If so what all is missing? Thanks for your help.
Patrick Russell

Attachments

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Patrick
How many teeth are there on the moon dial - 118?
If it's 118 it will tell you that it rotates using the pin on the hour wheel.

If there were two pins on the hour wheel, it would need 236 teeth, apart from it being a pointless thing to do!

Patrick R

Jun 22, 2006
Hi Mike,
Long time no see! Thanks for your reply. I never counted the teeth, but I noticed that they are much smaller than the average moon gear. I don't know if you can see it but the snail gear has only one pin soldered on it. A friend of mine said that it was an after market item, but I am convinced that something is missing. I just don't see how this can work with what is there. Has anyone seen a set up like this and what is missing?
Pat

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I have seen this case and dial before, but it housed a Jauch movement with a large spur or tooth mounted over the hour pipe. It took two rotations of the hour pipe to move the moon dial the equivalent of one day on a more modern movement such as the Keininger.

When setting the moon dial to it's proper phase for the customer, you count two clicks for each day, instead of one click for each day.

I went back and checked the dial pic again, and someone has done a very nice and neat job of moving the dial posts elsewhere on the dial to match up to the Keininger movement. You'll notice four equally spaced domes in the usual 6X9 pattern associated with the Jauch's. That's where the posts used to be. Whoever did this did a very nice job of moving the posts or making new ones to match the Keininger. I'm just surprised though at the pin on the snail.

Looking again at the pic of the dial, it looks to me they also took the back plate of the dial with the posts attached, and fastened a dial face onto that, that would match the Keininger. Holes on the back plate were enlarged to allow for placement of the winding key and hands assembly to be slightly relocated.

This was probably originally a Colonial made clock out of Zeeland, MI. The original dials on these were heavy enough to be thrown through a brick wall:eek: if one wanted to. Chime rods would have been changed out also to match the Keininger, because Jauch's were usually in reverse order of the notes.

I might be wrong, but I have done enough of these now to think I might be correct..................................doc

Patrick R

Jun 22, 2006
Hi Doc,
Thank you for your input. Is there a chance you have an old picture of how this linkage would hook up and work? Because as it stands it does not function.
Pat

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I have one Jauch, will check it tomorrow..................doc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member