Moon Dial Not Working

DebbieB

Oct 16, 2020
Country
Hi Everyone!

I've recently inherited the grandfather's clock that my own grandfather built from a kit in 1976. Upon receiving it I noticed it didn't work well and contacted a local clock repairman to come take a look at it. Well from the amount of dust and grime we found inside the clock it was clear that it hasn't been maintained or cleaned well. The repairman took all the insides back to his shop for cleaning and repair and is coming back tomorrow to put it all back together. I've thoroughly cleaned everything he left me with, from top to bottom so it's ready when he comes. I'm so excited to have it working again and reminisce about the sounds in my grandparent's house when I was a child!

So here's my problem. The repairman said the moon dial won't work, as it was missing whatever part/s would be needed to make it work. He advised it's something he can't fix, as you have to reorder the entire movement. Does that sound right?

I don't see any markings on the clock face, front or back. I'm not sure if there are markings on the parts he took with him. The clock has 3 weights and a pendulum, and I've included pictures of the front and back of the face, as well as a closeup shot of the selection of chimes. As you can see the little click spring is there, so it's missing whatever gears or wires would actually make the dial move.

Can anyone advise if you know what part/s are missing and if I can order just what is needed?

Thank you,

DebbieB
(A brand-new clock owner who has no idea what she's doing!)
Back.jpg Closeup.jpg Front.jpg

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Can't tell from those pictures would need a picture of front of movement.

DebbieB

Oct 16, 2020
Country
Ok will take pictures of the movement tomorrow when he brings it back, and post them

Rob Martinez

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2013
Country
Do you recall if the moon dial worked when your Grandfather had the clock? Do it yourself kits, like other items, sometimes are part of a family of kits that have different options. Basic kits and advanced kits may have many of the same parts but with some parts missing so that not all "options" of the advanced kit will be functional in the basic kit. Bottom Line - it may be that the 'missing parts' were never there in the first place. Looking up the manufacturer on-line may allow you to see options that were available. Although you may not be able to buy the missing parts (or maybe you can...) it could be that you can buy an upgraded movement that has a working moon dial. However, I get the impression you would rather have the clock as is than a new one just for the moon dial. But definitely check on-line. You will be surprised what you might find...

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hi Debbie.

Just wanted to say "Welcome" to the NAWCC's Message Board. If the parts can't be located, you might want to consider just turning the Moon Dial to the image of the ship (or whatever shows during a new moon). Other than that, what Larry and Rob said. As we learn more, I hope that we can help but I suspect that from a practical standpoint your Clock Repair Person is probably right.

Again, welcome!

Bruce

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
The moon dial has 3 wheels missing - it will. Never work if those wheels are not fitted. It’s nothing to do with having a new movement.... ANY Hermle movement eg 0451 or 1151 series with short handshaft, will work provided the correct moon gear is fitted on the hour pipe.
Best wishes.
Are you in the UK?

EDIT!
Sorry I thought this was a 250 x 250 x 330mm dial but when I enlarged the image it is not! The dial still needs the missing gears replaced but it looks as if the posts (arbors) are missing? The dial could be for a hermle 0461 or 1161 or it could be for a Kieninger movement, it’s hard to be sure. However it looks as if the movement you have has a long reach handshaft. You will need the correct moon gear for the hour pipe. Good look :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruce Alexander
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boostedbox
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool