Monumental Clocks

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by groundhog, Mar 15, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. groundhog

groundhog Registered User

Nov 29, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Has anyone any info on the monumental clocks? I've had a hard time finding any sites that have any info or pics of these old grand clocks.
    Tim

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. burnz

burnz Inactive User

Jan 24, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Yep--NAWCC is a very good place to start. I have always wanted to see the Engle clock in person. Havn't made it yet.

4. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

I thought those types were called Apostolic Clocks and the large figural clocks by Farcot,Complications by Jens Olsen, etc were the monumental clocks. The musical black forest clocks shown near the Engle clock are really neat but they frequently appear so I never found them to be monumental.
    It doesn't really matter to me because they are all awesome things to see.
    There is one at the Hershey,Pa. Museum. Smaller than the Engle Clock, if memory serves me the main time movement is a Waterbury or similar movement from the era.
    The Time Museum had one.

Probably of interest to Engle clock fans is a little booklet published by Mr. & Mrs. Wheelock. It gives a sketch of Engle's early life as written by him.
    I have a flyer from the tour when it was in Reading in 1878. They should be easy to obtain as I had offered it to the NAWCC Library a few years ago and the person I talked to said they already had copies which were quite common.
    One thing in the flyer I find amusing is the warning: "Beware of Imitators!"

John Nagle http://www.geocities.com/mrb2132000/mypage