• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

monarch master clock

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Hello I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I acquired a monarch master clock movement at the Lakeland Fl. Febuary show. The man I bought it from was not able to tell me what it was. I looked for answers an found one to be an ITR/IBM timer which is very similar to the Monarch master and learned that itr had bought the monarch clock patterns. There are no s/n or name on the movement,it is missing the crutch. I was able to repair a broken wire on the coil which is marked 6 volts dc. I put 6 vdc to it an it works good. What I am in need of is information on what the crutch looks like and its size also how was the suspension suspended from a post on a backboard ? And how long was the pendulum leader. I believe the bob to be 4 lb. The movement has a 40 tooth escape wheel and I have a New York standard watch company regulator pendulum bob which is 4 lb. Also did the seconds chapter screw into the seconds shaft where the seconds hand goes into. I have a working ITR master & an IBM master with mercury metal cylinders. I thank you all for any responds in advance Paul. ps I have photos of the movement but do not know how to get them in to the post

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I can see where the crutch would have fastened to the verge arbor. Is there a case with suspension spring? A pendulum?

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
The pendulum length, including the leader if it had one, would be
about 17.4 inches. ( assumes a 1 minute impulse )
This would be from about the center of the suspension spring to
the center of the bob.
Add an inch or two to that for the first try.
Tinker Dwight

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Hello Harold; There is no case and there is no pendulum except the new york standard watch company regulator pendulum which is 4 lbs. if I can,t find a case I will build one.Also I need the measurements for the crutch assembly and suspension, and pendulum assembly. I be leave the pendulum is four rods made to look like mercury pendulum. with that said hear goes nothing.

Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member
Apr 8, 2011
parma oh
Country
Region
I have a Monarch master clock in my collection. It has a 40 tooth escape wheel. The pendulum is a wood stick and brass bob like a Seth Thomas No.2 . Should be able to help you with any dimensions you need 307164.jpg

Attachments

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Hello Scot. Thank You for responding to Me, is your movement like the one in my pictures minus the seconds part if so I need a picture of the suspension area and the dimensions of it. I also need the weight of the bob I think it is 4 lbs. I also need dimensions of the pendulum stick. I will also need a picture of the crutch and dimensions of it. As far as the face which I do not have and will have to make, it has two rings which is the hour ring and the seconds ring which is screwed into the neck of where the seconds hand is inserted. With all said an done I probably will never find the two ringed face and the case for it.
again thank you in advance Paul. ps I am a member of chapter 89 in maine. thanks again

Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member
Apr 8, 2011
parma oh
Country
Region
Paul, I have attached several pictures of my movement. The suspension is 0.250 wide, 0.0035 thick, and 1.125" between holes. I was told that a Seth Thomas No.2 suspension would work. My pendulum stick is 24" long, the bob is 4.5" in diameter and weighs 2.5 pounds. My clock has been running for about a year and keeps very good time. I will make a drawing of the crutch with dimensions this weekend. Hope this will help. Scot 307171.jpg 307172.jpg 307173.jpg 307174.jpg 307175.jpg 307176.jpg

Attachments

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Again hello Scot & thank you for your input. I will be away for the weekend. I also thank all of the others on this post for there responses. later on I will post my itr master & my ibm master with weigh driven mercury pendulum. Looking forward to the drawing of the crutch and dimensions. Thanks again Paul

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Hello Scot; Well we are back from down east Maine were we went four wheeling on the weekend in the Machias area. Now I am back home in the southern end of Maine were the temperature is at 93 in Shapleigh at three in the after noon. Well if anyone caught it one of the pictures has a broken spring which I have already fixed.I still need the crutch dimensions before I can continue to make the movement work. I hope its not to hot were you live. thanks again Paul. Ps. Thank you Tinker four your input also,and to you Scot.

Last edited:

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Scott's clock looks to have both a different reset for the
weight and the 1 second pulse on the anchor.
The crutch should be the same though.
Tinker Dwight

Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member
Apr 8, 2011
parma oh
Country
Region
Paul, was called into work for the weekend, should have a drawing and dimensions by tomorrow. It's been in the low 90's here too for the last two days. Should have the information posted tomorrow night.

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Thank you Scot and thank you all it will take a little time to get it up and running and post new pictures but will do,have other things to do also. Will need dimensions of the case later no hurry Scot.
Thanks again Paul

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Well hear is the itr & the ibm that I said I would show and the monarch with the completed crutch and pendulum now working. I am also in need of the monarch clock case dimensions if possible Scot. thanks again to all Paul 310812.jpg 310813.jpg 310814.jpg 310815.jpg 310816.jpg 310817.jpg 310818.jpg 310819.jpg 310820.jpg 310821.jpg

Attachments

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Hello Scot, I have been at camp for the week an just came home. Can You tell me the diameter of the face as well as the case dimensions and the length of the hands. Thanks again Paul

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Hello again Scot, hope all is well with you.I am still in need of the case dimensions and the face diameter . Again thank you Paul

Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member
Apr 8, 2011
parma oh
Country
Region
Paul,sorry for the delay, been out of town for work. the dial is 12 3/8' with a 10 7/8' chapter ring. The hour hand is 4' and the minute hand is 5'. The case is 36 5/8' tall, 18 3/4" wide at the crown. The main box is 16 3/8" wide. Any other info you need let me know. Again sorry for the delay, Scot

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Hello Scot, Tomorrow I will be attending chapter 89 meeting and will bring the monach master clock working movement with me. You did not include the depth of the case with the other dimensions. Thanks again Paul

Paul Cormier

NAWCC Member
Jun 11, 2013
Country
Region
Paul, inside depth of the case is 4 7/8". Sorry for the oversight. Scot
Hello Scot thanks again. Also a note to Herold Bain why are the pictures missing on my thread please reply back Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewFeldwick
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller