Moebius 8141

NewbieCoachRob

Jun 8, 2010
Hershey, PA
Country
I read that Moebius 9415 is ideal for palette jewels. However, I only have Moebius 8141 and 8000/8. Can I use the 8141 for the palette jewels/fork, and use the 8000 for center/2/3/4 pivots? I also have KT-22 for the winding gears.

As a newbie, that's all I want to buy for now. So, which parts would you apply 8000 and 8141 to? I refuse to buy Microgliss at this point due to cost.

I used the 8000 for the mainspring when it was in the barrel, dipping the oiler and dragging it across the installed spring at the 4, 8 and 12 o'clock positions, from the arbor to the outer edge as I have been taught (letting it seep in).

I used the 8141 for the cannon pinion, too. Was that wrong? :confused:

MikeBarnett

Nov 26, 2008
Near Chapel Hill NC
www.GruenWristwatches.com
Country
Region
Boy could this thread go all over the place! SO many opinions, so much depth. I'm looking forward to the answers. I've seen some pretty complicated oiling charts that show where and what oils to use.

Personally, as a novice that doesn't always do the right thing but tries, I use a capillary oiler for most tasks that require general purpose oiling (pivots, etc). For that I use Synthalube. If done manually, I use Moebius 8000.

For mainsprings and other slow-moving parts, I use Moebius 8200. It's a bit thicker and will stay in place longer and still spread. I use it directly on the mainspring as you do, a bit on the arbor.

I was using KT-22 as well on the keyless works. Having done some movements this way, I've come to learn the it attracts dirt like a magnet. And it's very easy to over lubricate with it. It was a nice relationship while it lasted. A bud told me about "synthetic jismaa grease" for keyless parts. I have yet to inquire or switch over.

Another recent tip I received, for lubricating some of my tools, was LPS #1 plus the #2. I dunno if it's good for keyless works.

My two cents that's worth 1.25 cents. I've no doubt that many other opinions are out there that are just as good/better and look forward to adding more options to my arsenal.

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
As a newbie I can see where you would want to minimize your expense of lubrication. While not entirely ideal you can get by with just a couple of forms of lubrication. You need something resembling a grease for the mainspring and setting parts. In other words all the high-pressure parts need something heavier. Then an oil for everything else. Although it would be better to have three different types. You could use a light oil for the balance 9010 and escapement then something heavier 9020 for the gear train and then finally grease. I think you're going to find that the 8141 is way too heavy for the escapement the 8000 would be a considerably better choice.

John

This link is interesting in that it has the viscosities of various lubrication's. You'll notice that the viscosity of 8141 is 1250cSt for the 8000 they don't have it listed it is 95cSt.
http://www.hswalsh.com/Oil_Moebius_941_.aspx?i=HO941&c=640

http://hiro.alliancehorlogere.com/en/Under_the_Loupe/Lubrication

http://www.bhi.co.uk/Exams/The Practical Lubrication of Clocks and Watches.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodgoff
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller