• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Model and date for Ansonia Octagon Rosewood veneer wall clock

Damsel

Apr 9, 2015
Country
013.JPG Can anyone fill in the gaps about this clock? I am hunting for the model and approximate age. It is an hour-strike 8 day octagon clock (both above and below). The movement is marked "Ansonia Clock Company" and "H" along with the "A" square/diamond symbol. Height is about 23.5" and width at dial is 14.5". The case looks like walnut with some rosewood veneer, and the pendulum bob has a brass and copper leaf ornament. Any help you can give is appreciated.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Looks kinda like the Hiogo shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on Ansonia clocks from the 1883 catalogue. However, as shown in the catalogue illustration, the section between the two octagons is of a different shape and appears to be of the same color as the rest of the clock. Does the center section on yours appear original. But, sometimes catalogue illustrations can be deceiving and styles may vary over the years. The catalogue also shows a different style of hands and pendulums, just for what that's worth. Height given as 24"; ten-inch dial.

Can you post pictures of the movement?

Damsel

Apr 9, 2015
Country
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 008.jpg 011.jpg

The center section appears to me to be original. The dial is indeed 10 inches diameter. There is a paper still inside, but illegible. I have included photos of the movement and case that may shed light. Thanks for your help.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Here is the picture from Tran.

View attachment 258296

Thanks for the additional pictures. The differences in color between the center section and the rest of the clock do not appear so great.

Damsel

Apr 9, 2015
Country
The color of that middle section is much darker where it was protected by the door (see photo 4). Maybe the wood has lightened over time. Thanks for the clip from Tran; it is the best comparator I have seen so far. Differences include the middle section shape, no scale, different hands, decal on lower glass, no logo on dial, and different pendulum. All of those elements appear to be original to my clock (no guarantee though!) so maybe there is another model waiting to be found. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-